G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I forgot that I had completed a prior Dizzy conversion about 2 years ago. The current owner of the original conversion decided he liked the newer version better. He had me add sound and letter it for his private railroad. The unit has a light weathering and is ready for service.

The following is a GE mill engine built for Lukens Steel in 1947. The wheelbase and diameter of the Dizzy motor block closely approximate the dimensions of the actual locomotive. It was a challenge due to everything being very small with tight spaces. The operator is a Ward Kimball figure from John Schneider.

Please let me know what you think,
Don.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Les,
Thanks for the comments and kind words. I am more of a steam era, early gas/diesel mechanical type of modeler myself, but I really thought these two would look good pulling some more modern (1940-1970) era freight cars around. The counterbalances and siderods were used when a locomotive only had one traction motor or one axle was directly linked to the drivetrain, the second axle was driven using the rods and the counterbalances smoothed the effects of the rods.
At least that is what I recall reading somewhere,
Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts