G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I forgot that I had completed a prior Dizzy conversion about 2 years ago. The current owner of the original conversion decided he liked the newer version better. He had me add sound and letter it for his private railroad. The unit has a light weathering and is ready for service.

The following is a GE mill engine built for Lukens Steel in 1947. The wheelbase and diameter of the Dizzy motor block closely approximate the dimensions of the actual locomotive. It was a challenge due to everything being very small with tight spaces. The operator is a Ward Kimball figure from John Schneider.

Please let me know what you think,
Don.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I've also had it in the back of my head to make a model of this loco...

This was taken almost 7 years ago now but this loco still sits about where I took this shot. At the time I worked for Dresser Rand and had put in my notice. They were doing Government Contracts so they were tight about taking photos (& still are) I had asked repeatedly from the day I was hired who I needed to get permission from to take photos of the loco and kept either getting the brush off or told to just go do it. So the last week of work we had a really nice sunny day and I grabbed my camera and after work went over and took some shots of the loco. The next day there was a company wide Email stating that NO ONE was to be taking photos without the express written permission of the head of security. I went to my direct boss told him it was me and reminded him that he told me to go ahead and take the photos. He agreed and we laughted it off. What where they gonna do make me leave a day early? There are more in the folder marked Dresser Rand Loco in my First Class space if anyone is interested in more detail shots. I'm sure I missed things but it's pretty well documented and I still know folks that still currently work there who MAY be able to get more shots. Then again maybe not.

Chas

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Don,

I think they're a couple of exceptional pieces of work. (And I'm not into Diesels!)

What are those counterbalances all about on the second one? I ask such a dumb question, but somewhere I've read they're 'free swinging' or 'swinging' which would defeat the counterbalance effect, as I understand it. I think that's the cooler-looking of the two, FWIW.

Les

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Les,
Thanks for the comments and kind words. I am more of a steam era, early gas/diesel mechanical type of modeler myself, but I really thought these two would look good pulling some more modern (1940-1970) era freight cars around. The counterbalances and siderods were used when a locomotive only had one traction motor or one axle was directly linked to the drivetrain, the second axle was driven using the rods and the counterbalances smoothed the effects of the rods.
At least that is what I recall reading somewhere,
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts