G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sorry about the bad info, should have looked at the web site first. I thought it was the Kadee web site.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Interesting.  If I were Kadee, I'd've locked up that domain for myself long ago.  Looks like poor planning on someone's part.

(No slam on the actual owner; I have no experience with them.  However, I too assumed it was the Official Kadee site initially.)

For any of you who have business domains, be sure to grab the .com, .net, and .org as well as any common derivatives. It's all about protecting your corporate identity. 

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
It used to be that the first person to get a domain name could sell it to a corporate entity that wanted it for their own name... I believe it was Coke that paid big bucks to a person that had gotten Coke.com as a domain name before Coke had any idea there was such a thing as the internet or domain names.

I believe a court quashed that little enterprise by saying that if the company had trademarked the name then the name belonged to them and the company that owned that trade mark could sue the person that usurped that name for a domain name. Companies still pay a royalty to the person that did so, just to save the cost of the law suit, but that royalty is a mere pittance compared to what some of the earlier payments were.

Companies do have to "Vigorously" defend their trademarks or they will lose it. If this web site is not the Kadee corporate site, they may have to take legal action to secure their rights to the name. Some companies have gone so far as to get domain names that are "similar" to their trademark name, misspellings, dashes or periods between multiple word trademarks, etc. Just to maintain their corporate identity against scum that get such names to disparage or damage the company, or even fans of the company or product that just want some association with the company out of love for it.

If companies do not defend the trademark they can lose it.

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Has anyone ever bought from that site? The prices look very good, I did the quote thing. DMS - 1780 E 16th Ave - Post Falls, ID 83854 is all that is identified.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
many in our club buy from Kidmans Tree farm/Hobby , they give good prices on Kadees because its their way of saying thanks for shoping with us on other things etc.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Greg, I have order from them and got great service and good prices and ship petty quick
also.

Ken owner of K&K the road to nowhere

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
That's Jon DeKeles' endeavor, according to whois.com. If the prices are good, go for it. I've found Ridge Road Station to have the best published prices on couplers, so it'd be interesting to see how his compare. (Greg, care to check RRS's site to see?) I'd bet that Jon may match RRS's prices, too. Doesn't hurt to ask, and the shipping may be cheaper depending on where you live. I end up paying full price at Caboose, but I tend to buy them one at a time, based on the project I'm working on at the moment. I don't pay shipping, and I get the added benefit of being able to buy all sorts of other stuff, too! What a bargain!

Later,

K

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Thanks Kevin... I should have looked it up, do it all the time at work... must be vacation fever!

Well, that puts a different spin on things. $5.51 for kadee 830's if you hit the min order.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If that is a Jon DeKeles endeaver of LSOL fame then I won't go near it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts