G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Bachmann shay, what is the easiest way to disconnect track pickup and add battery power to it?
I have not yet disassembled it; will most RC/sound fit in the coal bunker?
KC

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is the two truck shay, and on my climax i did remove the ball bearings in the trucks, but didnt want to do that again in case i ever wanted to run off track power in future. i would like to put a DPDT toggle in it for track battery power.

thanks

KC

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, like Bill said, it seems the pickups are connected to the truck motors.
I removed the ball bearings but also the wires and connectors to them, it seems that the ball bearing pickups connect directly to the motors. So that means I need to reconnect the wires and the metal pieces they connect to the motors and leave the ball bearings out.
Funny how you find these things out.
I also unhooked the coal bunker and found 4 wires not attached toanything
Looks like in the schematic that two are for track feeds to run the sound board, I was thinking of putting my battery power to these and attaching souind board after the RC receiver to the motors.
Anyone done this?

KC

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg
If I am right, there are only two wires going to each of the trucks. They carry the voltage from the track pickups to the truck motors, main frame to run lights and smoke. If after doing mine wrong, you just remove the ball bearings and springs from the pickup to wheels, (remove the 6 screws on the bottom plate of truck which opens up the wring and ball bearings). This will remove the track pickups. Then you could connect your power hookup to the wires leading from the truck to the frame for power input to loco. These wires will also supply power to the trucks.
I believe if you just wire power to one truck it will supply power through existing wiring to the other truck and rest of loco needs.

I think this is how it works.

KC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.