G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI....February 17th at 7:00 or 9:00 pm (check your local listing) as the date and time it will air on the Discovery Channel. The title of the show is:

Dirty Jobs
“Locomotive Builder”
“Mike heads to MotivePower in Boise, Idaho to build and restore locomotives for his 200th dirty job"

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Betcha, 'all the fun stuff'.

I've watched that program a few times re jobs I have/had some familiarity with and tuned out after a half hour or so. Talk about 'slant-to-entertain' ... where's the 'educaton'? Gee golly, why wouldn't I want to peen the tubes on a boiler in a hot shed? It's so ... masculine! (?)

OTOH, I watched 'em shrink a tire on a wheel, and that was pretty good. All you had to know was what the H**l they were doing, and uh, why they would want to. The shots of the fiery furnace are still embedded in my retinas. And I was/am (when the dire need arises, & I can draft a son or son-in-law for a striker) a blacksmith. (I also shod workhorses for real, in my twenties--there's a sucky job for you). Like, you incorrectly drive a shoenail into the quick and the horse yanks his hoof--replete with previous unclenched nails-- from between your thighs, leaving only tattered denim and some small amount of blood. And the old guy who's directing you says, "That-there's why you should wear a leather apron."

Grumble.

Les

Thank the Lord for a no-nonsense father and a seriously cool great uncle.

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
9pm eastern tonight

Dirty Jobs
Locomotive Builder
TV-PG (L)

Mike heads to MotivePower in Boise, Idaho to build and restore locomotives for his 200th dirty job.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I watched. Was much fun. That plasma cutter is pretty amazing.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I know this sounds nuts , but I just logged on their site and made the idea of building an outdoor model RR. sounds like they need new ideas and this IS a dirty job.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
You do realize how vanishingly small viewer input factors into programming decisions, don't you?

Les

1 - 13 of 13 Posts