G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on some drawings for coach #3. I have found a reference to the cabin width and length, But I am looking for a few other dimensions. Does anyone know:

the overall length-
truck centers-
height-

Also does anyone know what the width of coach #5 is?

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
The platforms were usually 2.5' from door sill to end beam, so figure an additional 5' over the length of the carbody for the entire car.

Coach #3 was ordered from Billmeyer and Smalls the same time as combine #18 to run on the Shade Gap branch. According to the roster in Rainey & Kyper's "East Broad Top," they are identical in size. Combine #18 came to the railroad without a clerestory roof, but I do not know if that was the case for coach #3. "Along the East Broad Top" has drawings for combine #18, so I would suggest taking height dimensions from that drawing. I'd let you know what they are, but my copy of that book is currently vacationing in a parallel universe, and my model of combine #18 is currently buried in a plastic travel case in my garage.

For Coach #5, the roster in "East Broad Top" lists the width as 8' 1", and a length over the carbody of 36' 8". I don't know that I've ever seen published drawings for coach #5. Adding to my consternation, the online index of Narrow Gauge Gazette magazines is not opening for me, so I can't check that archive to see. Argh!!!

Later,

K

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is excellent information everyone. I have created a table with the comparisons of all of their coaches.

Pete, Can you possibly scan the drawings you have for #10?

·
Premium Member
5,946 Posts
Turned out the drawing is on the same page as the caboose, so I had most of it on my disk. But here's a clean b&w scan (click on it to get the full size?)

Looks pretty similar to #12, which I modeled a few years ago with all the boards and battens.

This was a test of the inserts I had cut for the standard windows to give a curve. The radius should have been larger - you can hardly see them on the finished model!

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a great scan of #10. I need to find the rest of that article.
I am will be trying my first cut in wood of #5 in 1/32 scale tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts