G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen where Accucraft sells a 3 bay coal hopper in 1.20th scale which I believe is narrow gauge. Size wise, how does it compare to AristoCrafts 2 bay coal hopper? For me, the width being the biggest give away regarding scale. I've compared the old MDC/new Piko 2 bay coal hoppers to the Aristo 2 bay coal hoppers and the width is like 1/8 inch difference. The length was a much bigger difference of over 3/4 inch. So, not being a rivet counter, running a string of coal hoppers with both MDC and Aristo works for me.

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Randy,
They are pretty accurate models of the EBT 3-bay hoppers in 1:20.3, so the width is 7' 7" /1:20.3 (see drawing below) or 4.48" over the sides. The ribs and grabs stick out, so I'd use 4.5".

Attachments

·
Senior Dish Washer
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have mostly MDC/Piko hoppers with a few Aristo Craft 2 bay, 100 ton, LGB and USA coal hoppers. They're not exactly all the same size, but then the real ones weren't either. So, I was wondering about the size, mostly width of the accucrafts Hoppers as they look to have pretty nice detail. But they look to be a good 1/4 inch wider than the Aristo Hoppers. An 1/8th inch and I would probably buy one to see, but at a 1/4 they really are too big.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts