G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I am Tony in Hong Kong. Could I use a digital control system of HO scale for running my SD70MAC by USA Trains with phoenix sound card installed ? Thank you very much for your great help.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
Most of the Garden scale digital controls came from HO scale.

It is the engines needing a higher voltage and current that is the problem.

You need to make sure the controller manufacturer has a receiver/engine controller capable of handling at least 18 volts and 2 amps or more. The amps are dependent on the engine/s draw.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Dan
Thank you very much for your fine details. I have a Bachmann Digital Control system which could use 16V with 3 amp power supply. I shall check the output is same as input first. If it couldn't use, can I use a normal power supply in DC 20V with 5 amp ? How about the sound ? It could be workable ? I plan to buy a sound card for  my SD70MAC. Thanks.
Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Bob
Thank you very much for your help. I don't have any starter set in G scale. I had collected model trains for many years. Mainly, my collection is in HO scale. Since last year of March (2007), I had started my G scale collection. I hope my current power supply system could running with my loco installed sound card. If not, I have to invest a new controlling system. Thanks.
Tony

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Tony

First off, this question may get more response in the DCC Forum.

On the specifics, you have two issues to consider. One is what decoder will you use in the locomotive. The SD-70 is not particularly efficient in using electricity - I do not know the stall current of the loco but I would guess at least 4 A possibly more. The loco runs on a lesser voltage but most modellers seem to want at least 22 V. Finding a decoder that will handle 22V at 5A is not easy.

Second problem is at the command station and its power supply. Most of the command stations in use today (excepting perhaps the starter DCC sets) will handle at least 5A. And most have a "G scale" setting that produces a higher voltage. But keep in mind that this is really a very minimal power supply. It would be better to provide 8A or 10A to permit multiple locos to run. If that was not your intention, then why bother at all with DCC?

Regards ... Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Doug
Thank you very much for your great comment. I would check out some more topics at DCC forum. One of my friend could help me to modify my power supply who is an expert of electronics. I would inform your comment to hm for his reference before he help me to modify my power supply and control system. I am looking for a Phoenix sound card for my SD70MAC. I believe this is the best sound for my SD70MAC. Thank you very much.
Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts