G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got $200 of "Christmas money" to spend, and I'm thinking I should use it to get a digital camera. Can anyone provide some recommendations? 

I don't need anything fancy but I do want high enough resolution for publishing, as I'd like to use it snap pics to accompany "how to" articles. I also want something that will have good depth of field on closeup shots of models.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can someone tell me how close you can get with the Canon PowerShot SD790 IS? And how does the macro work? I was looking at one today and couldn't figure it out. I selected Macro, but I still couldn't get any closer to the subject. For that matter, I couldn't get the zoom to work either. And the sales guy was clueless.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Didn't know you have to half-press the shutter button to get the camera to focus. As for the zoom, tried moving the ring both directions, didn't do anything. Had the same problem with a couple other cameras I looked at, so I figure there must be some trick to it that I'm missing. It's kind of hard to figure some of these things out in the store when there's no manual available, and they don't work like a film camera.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, another thing -- I wish the manufacturers (and dealers) would give some info about the non-zoom field of view of the lens. So far, all the digital cameras I've looked at tout the magnification of the zoom (3X, 4X, etc) but I'm more interested in wide angles for closeups.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've been learning quite a bit, not only about digital cameras but also about how to research the darn things online. Anyway, right now I'm still leaning towards the Canon SD790 IS. It's gotten very good reviews, has most of the features I'd like to have, and I can get one plus a 2GB memory card for under $200 on Amazon.

One feature I would like which that camera lacks is some manual controls for occasions when the auto-everything just doesn't cut it. It also lacks a viewfinder to suppliment the large LCD screen -- would be nice to have but I think I could live without it.

One other thing that concerns me is the battery. It uses a special rechargeable lithium-ion battery. My camcorder has lithium-ion batteries and they don't hold a charge very long. I rarely use the camcorder anymore because the batteries don't stay charged between uses.

Some of the other cameras I'm looking at take AA batteries, which is extremely convenient, especially on back-country trips where recharging isn't an option. You can buy AA's anywhere.

So... still researching. But I'll have to make a decision soon or lose out on the Amazon sale.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mike, I'll check out ebay. BTW another camera I'm considering is the Canon PowerShot SD880IS. It's about $50 more expensive and doesn't do video -- but it has a 28mm (equivalent) wide angle, 4X zoom. That wide angle would be great for "ground level" pics on the layout.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I bit the bullet, and ordered the SD880! With a 4GB memory card it ended up costing me $260, but the wider angle and ability to do manual adjustments makes it worth the extra dough, IMHO.

Oh, and I was mistaken about it not doing video. It does, up to 640 x 480 VGA.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It'll sure be nice to not waste time and money shooting whole rolls of film, only to discover that the exposure isn't quite right or something. I'm REALLY looking forward to being able to see and review the image immediately so corrections can be made as needed. And no more waiting to use up a roll before I can get the pics at the beginning of the roll.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.