G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Yes. I am quite familiar with the problems of taking photos of our models. Especially with LEDs all over the house!

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pete, the colors look just like the pics with the naked eye. Must be caused by the light source, but I don't really know. My CFL lighting the loco looks same color as daylight. Only LED's I have are outside lighting, will check that out tonight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First is under xenon light, second is direct sun light. View attachment 61396
First is under xenon light, second is direct sun light. View attachment 61396 View attachment 61397
View attachment 61397
The color temp of daylight is between 5000/6500k If your bulbs fit into this range your photos should look close to what you see, all bulbs no mater what type will have a color temp rating. Photographic filters can also correct for color temp differences but that can set costly. Easiest solution, stick with daylight ratings between 5000/6500k no surprises.
I am a photographer and color shifts are normal.
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bill, had to do some net searches as I had no idea what you were talking about. VERY INTERESTING, In the past I put the cause with the camera not having the ability to record the real color due to data incapabilitie. While it is still dark, and my outside lighting is LED, going to take a couple of pics, just to see.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bill & Pete. I did take a couple of pics this morning. This is the Baby Shark, same color as the big one. Two different light sources, both sold as LED. First one is bare bulb (inside coated like incandescent), second is a ceiling type fixture so may be effected by the glass lens. Judging from the colors, they seem closer in heat to the Xenon than daylight.
DSCN3072.JPG
DSCN3073.JPG

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
First the xenon strobe flash was not daylight balanced. A common problem with cheaper strobe flashes and in camera flashes. If it were balanced it would look more like the one taken outside. I have to deal with this often. The higher end cameras can be set to one or the other light balance. When I did an artical for GRW I toke all of the pictures outdoors so I didn't have to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
The color temp of daylight is between 5000/6500k If your bulbs fit into this range your photos should look close to what you see, all bulbs no mater what type will have a color temp rating. Photographic filters can also correct for color temp differences but that can set costly. Easiest solution, stick with daylight ratings between 5000/6500k no surprises.
I am a photographer and color shifts are normal.
Bill
I just set my Nikon D3500 for daylight so I don't have to mess with filters. I shoot as well. :)

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was not a camera flash. This is used on construction sites before the permanent lighting is in place and we are using color coded wire. Didn't seem to cause any errors.
fullsizeoutput_46f.jpeg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts