G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, we operate a 7.5 gauge RR with a SD45 Loco, currently there is a Dallee sound card and amp installed, sounds good, how ever we are using a set of automotive horns because the whistle sounds are very inadequate for our operation, we would like a sound card that we could connect to an amp and possibly a horn type speaker to get a more authentic whistle sound.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
ALL LIVES MATTER!
Geo 馃嚭馃嚫

Registered
Well, technically, there was the Hancock Whistle that the New Haven had on their FL9s. I have one of the Rapido NH FL9s (HO) and it sounds like a whistle.

Super Modulator
The SD45's normally had a "complicated" horn, several "chimes", which are independent horns all blown at the same time.
What road name is your loco?
For example, the Southern railway has TWO sets of 3 chime (3 separate frequencies) horns, one set at each end:

Whistle: (normally powered by steam)

horn: (normally powered by compressed air)

Registered
Hi All, we operate a 7.5 gauge RR with a SD45 Loco, currently there is a Dallee sound card and amp installed, sounds good, how ever we are using a set of automotive horns because the whistle sounds are very inadequate for our operation, we would like a sound card that we could connect to an amp and possibly a horn type speaker to get a more authentic whistle sound.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
ALL LIVES MATTER!
Geo 馃嚭馃嚫
We sell a lot of sound cards to the ride on folks. See sound samples for Heavy Diesel

Registered
I use a 3/4 scale pvc Nathan P3 that is powered by air on my 2.5" scale transfer switcher. It takes a large volume of air but the Nathan P3's are the horns comonly found on SD 45's. If you are going with a amp and speaker remember, you need a 12 volt system to power that amp, depending on size of the amp. ( i like 100 watts for 7.5" ga) that way you can turn up or down the volume to your liking.

Registered
Any thoughts?
Thanks
ALL LIVES MATTER!
Geo 馃嚭馃嚫
Sierra.

Super Modulator
Out of business. Given the investment on a 7.5 gauge loco, why buy something used that cannot be repaired?

Something current, that can be customized or re-downloaded to suit.

Greg

p.s. nice to hear you are alive and well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts