G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/16/2009 5:19 PM
Javascript has no relationship to Java, a very unfortunate naming convention..... also this site uses ajax.net, not the microsoft .net stuff.... (linux programmers hate microsoft)... that's why we get the ajaxpro errors in the chat...

Sounds like some updating is in order... also, I think IE7 sucks... I would go FF or Chrome... but those are personal opinions...

Regards, Greg
Greg

"also this site uses ajax.net, not the microsoft .net stuff...."

Before you jump off the deep end, you might want to take a look-see at the address bar in your browser and notice the '.aspx' file extension for all the web pages here on MLS, including the one that chat runs on, then find out what that extension represents.

snip...[/i] "also this site uses ajax.net" snip... & snip... "that's why we get the ajaxpro errors in the chat..." snip...

Additionally, it would also be helpful to use Google and find out just what 'Ajax' is. (If I remember correctly Microsoft implemented support for what eventually became part of Ajax back in 1999 via an ActiveX control (i.e. XMLHttpRequest) in MS/Internet Explorer v5, the term was coined in 2005 by J. Garrett.)

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Greg

Yes you are quite correct that on Michael's web site you are working on Ajax.Net, because he chose to create and use his very own Ajax framework to use in MS/.Net, implementing it using his choice of programing techniques & technologies to create his web application.

Maybe the following entry in Michael's blog may help.

How to... move from AjaxPro to ASP.NET AJAX PageMethods[/b]

And maybe this short basic tutorial on getting started using ASP.NET Ajax may help.

HDI-01-Get_Started_with_ASPNET_AJAX[/b]

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Greg

To be honest, I don't know for sure that the DotNetNuke, ActiveForums, or the Rich Text Editor make use of the MS/ASP.net AJAX extensions or not.

The error we encountered yesterday could point to that, because any web page that utilizes Ajax script/components has to have a script manager on it and the error was encountered on the home page. Maybe the new slide show module for the photography contest winners that Shad added on the home page, but it may also be the result of the chat module written in AjaxPro is included in the MLS web site?

However, the chat program module does use the AjaxPro framework created by Michael Schwarz, which is why you see the AjaxPro errors. Now, whether Mr. Schwarz wrote the chat application himself or someone else using his AjaxPro framework wrote it I don't know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts