G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am suddenly getting an error on EVERY page that I open here...

The line number varies for any particular page but the error is shown as:

Error: 'SYS' is undefined.

It just started doing this in the middle of my opening several "tabs" of new messages from the Active Topics list. I have rebooted, and cleaned my registry and run CCleaner to remove extraneous files and rebooted again. Other sites are not showing any errors like this.

I am wondering if a file got corrupted on the server or maybe a change was made that is inducing the error.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
i'm getting a critical error has occurred????????????????????????? The Regal Must be something on your end it was working alright about an hour and a half ago.

Error just when i try accessing home page.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Try a different browser... see if it does it on both browsers...

Your javascript could be damaged, unlikely, but possible.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The error on the home page is:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A critical error has occurred.
A ScriptManager is required on the page to use ASP.NET AJAX Script Components. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I see a few things that I think are normally on the home page, but they are just paragraphs of text with no columnar formating. I still see the error I reported before on all the other pages.

So... is this "ScriptManager", JAVA? or something else. Where do I go get this "ASP.NET AJAX" thingy?

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah. I think I am getting the error on each page because I enabled Script Debugging several months ago and I think if you don't have that enabled it just passes over the error. You might be getting an error indication in the status bar at the bottom of the window, or maybe not.

Everything seems to work when I click to ignore the error... Of course, that begs the question; if the error can be ignored, WHY is the program trying to do something that apparently does not need to be done?

The main problem for me now is that if I try to open multiple tabs, each one gets the error and it confuses IE-7 as it won't continue opening another tab until I acknowledge the error on the tabs that have already gotten started. I can get a couple started and then I have to respond to the error by clicking on that tab to see the error dialog to respond to it and then switch back to the main tab of the Active Topics list and open another tab to the next thread in the list, go to that tab, wait for the error, click Ignore... ARGH! Sure ruins the "browsing experience"... Not so fast as just opening a tab for each topic in the list and then go read them all.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Javascript has no relationship to Java, a very unfortunate naming convention..... also this site uses ajax.net, not the microsoft .net stuff.... (linux programmers hate microsoft)... that's why we get the ajaxpro errors in the chat...

Sounds like some updating is in order... also, I think IE7 sucks... I would go FF or Chrome... but those are personal opinions...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/16/2009 5:19 PM
Javascript has no relationship to Java, a very unfortunate naming convention..... also this site uses ajax.net, not the microsoft .net stuff.... (linux programmers hate microsoft)... that's why we get the ajaxpro errors in the chat...

Sounds like some updating is in order... also, I think IE7 sucks... I would go FF or Chrome... but those are personal opinions...

Regards, Greg

Yeah, personal opinions and I do understand.

I find that Linux programmers are just as conceited as Microsoft programmers and are as apt to try to force their "way" of doing things on the world as Microsoft does.

FireFox just doesn't work the way I think (which is not an endorsement for either FireFox nor the way I think!)

I found Chrome to be just some shiny stuff plastered on an otherwise dull and unpolished structure.

I realize I defeat my own argument, but I prefer to stick with the software that has the largest base of users as developers are more apt to use the tools that are compatable with the majority than to try to use something that irritates their intended readership. The defeat I speak of is that going with largest base of users means I am open to threats from those that target the internet for their own personal vendettas and attack that base so as to not waste their time on the smaller number of users.

I got rid of the immediate problem by disabling Script Debugging again, but that then presented the error dialog like I thought it would, so I had to disable showing the error message there. I now see the small yellow triangle down in the status bar indicating that it wanted to tell me something bad had occured.

Those controls in IE-7 are available under the "Tools" menu, "Internet Options", "Advanced" (tab), as the 3rd and 5th checkboxs under the "Browsing" heading. 3rd item checked and 5th item unchecked allows the browser to continue without interrupting me to respond to the messages, but, of course, folk then do not know that "something" is amiss (even if, as it appears to be in this case, it is meaningless).

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I'm getting that error message here too. I went to forums without signing in, and signed in there. So far everything else seems O.K.

Hope this is just a temporary problem.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I'm getting the same error on the Home Page as "Semper" listed...

A critical error has occurred.
A ScriptManager is required on the page to use ASP.NET AJAX Script Components.

So far no trouble anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I think the script is for the photos on the home page and its not running.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/16/2009 5:19 PM

Regards, Greg
Greg

"also this site uses ajax.net, not the microsoft .net stuff...."

Before you jump off the deep end, you might want to take a look-see at the address bar in your browser and notice the '.aspx' file extension for all the web pages here on MLS, including the one that chat runs on, then find out what that extension represents.

snip...[/i] "also this site uses ajax.net" snip... & snip... "that's why we get the ajaxpro errors in the chat..." snip...

Additionally, it would also be helpful to use Google and find out just what 'Ajax' is. (If I remember correctly Microsoft implemented support for what eventually became part of Ajax back in 1999 via an ActiveX control (i.e. XMLHttpRequest) in MS/Internet Explorer v5, the term was coined in 2005 by J. Garrett.)

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Steve, you are right, I did not have it right, axax is on TOP of microsoft's .net.

go here http://www.ajaxpro.info/

Interesting, there is a box on the top of the page that says:

Your browser is working with Ajax.NET Professional!!

Third line down... maybe it's a good check for your browser.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Greg

Yes you are quite correct that on Michael's web site you are working on Ajax.Net, because he chose to create and use his very own Ajax framework to use in MS/.Net, implementing it using his choice of programing techniques & technologies to create his web application.

Maybe the following entry in Michael's blog may help.

How to... move from AjaxPro to ASP.NET AJAX PageMethods[/b]

And maybe this short basic tutorial on getting started using ASP.NET Ajax may help.

HDI-01-Get_Started_with_ASPNET_AJAX[/b]

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Thank you Steve, so this site uses the ajax extensions on asp.net? Not the ajaxpro?

Is the chat coded differently? We get ajaxpro errors quite often.

Very edifying Steve, I do appreciate it...

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Greg

To be honest, I don't know for sure that the DotNetNuke, ActiveForums, or the Rich Text Editor make use of the MS/ASP.net AJAX extensions or not.

The error we encountered yesterday could point to that, because any web page that utilizes Ajax script/components has to have a script manager on it and the error was encountered on the home page. Maybe the new slide show module for the photography contest winners that Shad added on the home page, but it may also be the result of the chat module written in AjaxPro is included in the MLS web site?

However, the chat program module does use the AjaxPro framework created by Michael Schwarz, which is why you see the AjaxPro errors. Now, whether Mr. Schwarz wrote the chat application himself or someone else using his AjaxPro framework wrote it I don't know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts