G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One week shy of being 40 years to the day, a major television network did not pre-empt a regularly scheduled program for a sporting event.

No matter how you look at it it's was just as stoopid today as it was in 1968. This is since most folks use some form of TIVO or DVR to record things while they watch other events especially since it was Sunday and there is football.

So 38 laps left in the Sprint Cup race out in Phoenix they decide to switch it over to ESPN2 on the east coast because they have to show America's Stupidest (umm err uhh I mean Funniest) Videos.I just don't get it.

I remember the outrage that the original incident caused and I gotta wonder if anyone else that was watching the race feels the same. I mean there are some that don't have ESPN2 and many of those folks could be in the fan base that would watch a NASCAR event.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
RE: Did anyone else experience the "Heidi Cup" on ABC?

That may have been just your station. My wife was waiting for her stupid videos show to come on and it did not start until 7:30. I was outside working with the games on so I'm not sure what the late start time was all about.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

The delays were due to the two red flag incidents...
One for rain (approximately 20 minutes - rain in Phoenix??) and another (again approximately 20 minutes) for incident clearing and track clean-up.
They couldn't help the first one, but sure could have gotten the track back to green flag condition quicker without the pansy-a$$ screwing around they did trying to decouple the two stacked cars...
Sorry, but ISC has really neutered the Phoenix Fire Rescue crew.
Replaced the skilled "track savy" personnel with municipal fire fighters who haven't the first clue on how to respond to, assess, command/direct, and resolve race track incidents.
Now, if there was a house going down the front straight on fire, I'd welcome the hose jockeys with open arms, but they are not good with a "hot track".
Stoopid, but plays right into the demands of the bean counting "risk management" weenies...
Let's not discount the debris cautions that were called for stuff that was so far out of the groove, that if anyone had been up that far to hit it, they were already in much bigger trouble...
Alright, soap box disengaged...

As far as the cutting away to the "regularly scheduled programming", that only happened on the eastern and central time zones, that I know of. I still had ABC (and ESPN2) feed until the end. There were probably some folks that were upset that their "World Series of Poker" was delayed coming on over on ESPN2, also.

Mental picture floating in my head of an overall wearin' goober flyin' out the door of his double wide, and twistin' his antenner around, tryin' to get that "esspintwo" channel to come in, hollerin' at his woman. "Dang it Louella, it just ain't FAIR!!!"

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Hey Whats wrong with poeple in Double Wides?
I gots me a Double Wide.
I gots me a satalite too.

My Newphews flew in for the Race. They were there. They said that the leader was so far out front that the called Debris shearch to get everyone back in a bunch. That is when the crashes happened.

I was bussy running trains trying to figure out how to fix a derail problem I have on one curve. I just changed this curve and guess I did something wrong.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Sorry I missed ABC's latest blunder, I was too busy watching Jimmie pull into the winner's circle. What an amazing experience, watching NASCAR from the pits!

Robert

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I agree If you elect to televise a program sick with it. Its a shame they pull the stunts. Glade I had ESPN. I think they need to pull that station from the list of folks even if they pay the bucks. Give it to someone that can telivise the entire program even if it runs over. Then again poor planning and not allowing for delays. Later RJD

·
Registered
2,500 Posts

Aw, c'mon guys. If it had been something like celebrity bowling running over, and they joined (pick your favorite movie) "already in progress" you'd be JUST as mad. Okay, I agree, 'stupid people tricks' isn't much of a show, but you get the point.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
That's the point. Do not care what program is in progress stay with it. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
573 Posts

By the way who played in the Heidi bowl? I was trying to remember and rather than googling it I thought I'd ask here.

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
November 17, 1968

Raiders losing to N.Y. Jets 32 - 29 with 65 seconds left.

Raiders win 43-32 Raiders scored then recovered a fumble and scored again on the kickoff.

Tommy

Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Unless this was a wrestling match between Heidi Kulm and Heidi Montag involving jello, olive oil or something else slippery, I really dont care....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts