G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
There are too few people doing the kind of work you do.
I donno Mike. We have at least five going on right now, and right here on MLS... Redbeard's Ruby Mason, Winn's Mason, Howard's Climax, Henner's Betsy, and mine. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif  I think it's spreading. :D

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Howdy All:
Diamondhead is pretty much the same.  Some new carpet, a little less clutter, but not much and the same old friends! 
This year I am going to try and get a web cam working for the day time.  We will see how it goes.  It will take one picture every 60 seconds and post it to my web site.  The last 30 minutes of pictures will be kept.  You can find the pictures here:  http://www.johnsgardenrailway.info/Projects/webcam_gallery.htm  As you can see from the first few shots, there is nothing but carpet.  The track should be arriving shortly.

As I mentioned before, the pictures I take with a camera will be posted to a Google account and can be found here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/diamondheadsteamup
One last thing from the soap box.  Anyone that has put together an event before can tell you how much work it takes.  Anyone that has been to Diamondhead knows what the hotel is like.  That being said, those people that have nothing better to do than to complain to Jerry about the conditions of the hotel need to keep their opinions to themselves!  Too much clutter, areas in disarray, room not right, go tell the front desk.  Jerry doesn’t need anyone’s crap!  Jerry was only here 5 minutes before someone started about a roll of carpet near the bar in the atrium.  Good grief!!!!
Ok, I’m done.
Watch for pictures in both locations and I hope to see many of you shortly.

Here goes my crazy mind.....:rolleyes:

Good griping:
So when are we building the portable layout that borders the entire building? Diamondhead has been held there long enough correct? lol(or when is diamondhead putting a permanent one in lol.)(after they fix all the rooms etc etc etc etc).  Heck, I will even do all the work (track building that is).

Diamondhead should be like the renaissance fair, we should camp out for an entire month. Talk like engineers and sell funky train trinkets

Why dont we have a certification of a true steamer, make them work for it, you must go through a gallon of water for it and know how to silver soldier and go through the pain of your burnt finger(sounds like a cult lol).
Maybe I shouldnt be throwing crazy ideas out like this... hehehehe/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif

- Andrew
P.S. I am joking lol, sitting here at work waiting until wednesday to show up there. (If someone was serious I would set it up and run it except the minimal vacation time I get)

there is nothing but carpet. The track should be arriving shortly.

But it's new, clean carpet! What's not to like about that? After ten years, you could still see where this loop of track was put on the floor, that "gunge can" was spilled, etc.

On the downside, now we have to take better care of the place, since it is not already trashed when we arrive. I'll learn to live with it.

Just looking at John Fullers' web posted pictures and I have to say, and I can't help myself, the place looks GREAT! New carpet, fresh paint. I hope it survives a week of steam oil, coal ash, and spilled beverages. The nagging question is do they still have those truly gungy bar chairs that we sit in to watch the trains go by on the layout? I always felt like I needed a shower after a session in one of them.

I can't wait to get there and make my contibution to breaking in the place!

Mike McCormack
Hudson, Massachusetts

Mike, believe it or not they reupholstered those bar stools/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/cry.gif and put them in the bar.  So a couple of guys went in there and brought them out.  They are not great but a lot better than the dirty, sticky looking things they used to be.  Tomorrow I will get a picture.  Anyone who has been here probably knows what we are talking about.

Good Times!  The turnout seems a little high for this early in the week but there is still lots of time to run.  The swap tables just opened up and a couple of grand has already changed hands.  I do look forward to the swap tables!  Maybe I will move the webcam over there for a few minutes./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

It is raining pretty good down here and they are calling for high winds.  Safe travels to all those on there way.

John
Since you seem willing to reposition the camera to various locations; how about some action on the big green track!
Appreciate all the coverage you make possible for those of us not able to attend.  Makes the day!

Charles, I will have to look and see where I can set it.  The problem is that I have to have a power outlet to plug it into.  Finding an outlet that works is like finding a clean room around here!  So far I have only found two outlets on the outside wall.  I will check around.:cool:
Glad to here that someone is watching and enjoying.
Take care,

Many, many wonderful steamers and their owners already crowding the tracks!  Very impressive live diesel by Bob Pope, great paint scheme.
I see another CF with Paul at the controls.  So much to have to endure at work while the boys with their steam toys play.  Ol' Fart's project is top rate.
Just think the official start is not until Friday.....
I bet Jerry feels great with such a large turnout so early in the event.
Seems the swap table and work tables are busy, so Bob and Norm will be fixin and retrofitting all the parts to make the engines run.
Wondering if any boats will make the annual regatta?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.