G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I feel the need to post this photo. I didn't get a change to have a long conversation with this gentleman but I was able to admire his attire. This photo does not do him justice. He's wearing a wetsuit with a type of ALICE gear over it, covered by a thick rain jacket. A pair of Wellington's underneath and topped by a custom made hat manufactured from inner tubes (note the valve stem on top). This fellow seemed totally enthralled with the events at Diamondhead and if my wife did not help me by picking out what I wear, I'm sure I'd be wearing something of similar design. He says that in the crowd he runs with, he's not the one standing out. As I stated in a previous post, he's the only guy I know who is actually ready for the next Katrina.

I also want to thank Jerry Reshew for hosting the Diamondhead steamup this year. I had a great time and have no complaints. I, personally, heard no grumblings or complaints from anyone and I feel Diamondhead is BACK.

Thanks, Jerry!

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I've heard of the "Michilen Man" but this must be the "Goodyear Guy". And everyone who thought "Ming the Magnificent" from Flash Gordon was fictional, take that!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Remember that Diamondhead is only a rock’s throw from Louisiana. In Louisiana this level of eccentric behavior does not even raise an eyebrow especially during this time of year. If the man pictured had a magic wand and was able to boil water without the use of alcohol, butane, coal, or electricity, then he really would stand out among this group in this locality. Other than that, it looks like someone taking a break from his normal hobby common in this area of wading into alligator infested swamps, sticking his arm into blind underwater holes, and hoping a 75 lb catfish bites down. Everybody has their own definition of fun!

Also keep in mind that to 99% of the population, our hobby and the way we look (especially at Diamondhead) looks just as eccentric as this man appears to us.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said, If it wasn't for my wife.....

·
Registered
620 Posts
What the photo does not show is the evening before he had a Crystal sticking out of his chest and two antenea(sp) sticking out of a different hat that also had crystals.
Wonder how much Jerry paid him as Dan Rowe didn't wear his tie dyed underwear this year while juggling chainsaws. Now picture that!

·
TDY to Earth
1,483 Posts
Dave / Bruce

I note from the photo that the individual is carrying a program, which implies that he registered at the event. perhaps when jerry publishes the "late registrant" list his identity will be revealed. Would like to invite him to VA so he could see the northern crowd.

From all reports, you had almost as much fun as we did at York. LOL.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Posted By Dr Rivet on 01/23/2009 8:54 PM
Dave / Bruce

I note from the photo that the individual is carrying a program, which implies that he registered at the event. perhaps when jerry publishes the "late registrant" list his identity will be revealed. Would like to invite him to VA so he could see the northern crowd.

Regards

You are close enough to DC that I am sure you run across plenty of spooks with whom this guy would fit right in.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jim,

The rumor was that he had a garden railroad too.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By Shay Gear Head on 01/24/2009 4:56 AM

Jim,

The rumor was that he had a garden railroad too.
Yea in a real damp neighborhood. Seattle?

G

·
0 Posts
Bruce,
Yes I have juggled plastic chain saws and yes I juggled in tie dyed long johns, but I did not juggle plastic chain saws in tie dye.... That would be a bit much even for me!!

I have been looking for photos of the chain saw juggle, so if anyone can prove my memory wrong now is your chance!!!

Cheers Dan
SA 13.7

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Posted By Dr Rivet on 01/23/2009 8:54 PM
Dave / Bruce

Regards

Jim, my remote receiver for your fun-meter was offline in MS, but my fun-meter was completely pegged!

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I'm kind of disappointed with the subject and attitudes brought to light in this thread. I guess one not only has to be interested in steam but also has to fit "the mold" I wonder if that fellow is reading this ???

Jack

G

·
0 Posts
I agree that some of the comments have been disappointing which makes me wonder about the moderation of this forum.
However, the gentleman in the photo was not unaware that his dress would get the attention of most crowds. He is a soft spoken man and was treated with respect at the steamup at Diamondhead.

Dan Rowe

G

·
0 Posts
This is simply good old garden variety xenophobia at work. Humans tend to attack (isolate, criticise, demonise, expel, etc) that which is foreign, unknown, not understood, and therefore feared. Congratulations, you are all "normal", except for Mr. "Spook" Scott, who should seek professional counselling.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts