G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diamondhead 2009 Drawbar Pull Results

There were fourteen entries in the annual “Drawbar Pull” competition at the 2009 International Small Scale Steamup in Diamondhead, MS.

There was a significant increase in the weight pulled by some locomotives this year. As a result of this increase there will be a new rule next year. There will be no depleted uranium or other exotic metals allowed as adhesion enhancers.

The results in each category are as follows:

One Axle Larry Newman* Pirate Truck #T-1 1lb 14.5oz

Two Axle Bill Boyle* “der über” Willi 6lb 7.7oz
Mark Tilden “Unmolested” Willi 2lb 7.5oz
Wil Davis Cricket 15.9oz

Three Axle Mitch Mitchell* Accucraft Mogul 5lb 5.6oz
Bill Boyle Accucraft 1:29 0-6-0 3lb 16.0oz
Kent Killiam Accucraft S-12 2lb 13.8oz

Four Axle Dave Orwig* Accucraft C-21 4lb 3.0oz
Daniel Tilden Aristocraft Mikado 3lb 10.0oz

Eight Axle Dave Hottmann* Accucraft Cab Forward 10lb 3.2oz
Paul Lator Accucraft Cab Forward 4lb 2.0oz

Geared Bob Pope* P-2 Diesel 10lb 9.8oz

Demo Run (Past Winner)
John Garrett Accucraft 4T Shay 10lb 4.9oz

Honorable Mention Pat Darby Three Fingers 13lb 6.0oz

* Class trophy winners.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
what is the heaviest standard metal that we can use then? lead?.
Also, anyone have a picture of the Three Fingers model?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrew,

Photo not required for the Three Finger Model. Hold your hand up, palm toward your face and fold your little finger under your thumb. Get the picture?

As far as the metal goes present your case to the "Judge" and let him make the decision. Most likely anything that ends with a "um".

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan,

I guess next year I will need to bring a Geiger counter to check for this - to make sure there is no radioactive contamination?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave,

Your and Mitch's trophy are in Jerry's hands and he said you could pick them up next year.

They didn't appear until just after you departed - sorry.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Bruce,

Thanks again for hosting a great event! Next year I'll have a steam locomotive in the single-axle class.

Regards,

Bob

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Bruce,

This event was a lot of fun, thank you.

I couldn't help but notice the six lbs. difference between Dave and Paul's CF. Dave, what things have you done to improve your loco?

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Bruce, I didn't think I had a snowball's chance, but I came home victorious! Thanks for running the pull and also helping with the negotiations on my new locos.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave,

It's a good thing it was cold in Mississippi so your snowball didn't melt away before the competition was completed.
Think if you had been at Cabin Fever - you may have come home with a real fever!

Got to come up with what you owe me for the loco transactions. I was glad to be of assistance, even though you sold my Mogul.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob Pope,

You're on record as saying you are bringing a STEAM powered device next year. I know it will pull more than its own weight!

It may take some getting used to as the smell won't be the same or have you found a fuel that smells like Nitro?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Bruce,
thanks again for your running of the Drawbar Competition at Diamondhead. I have retired the "Uber Willi" and have reverted it back to just a "Blau Willi" as I have sent the "Depleted Uranium" traction weights to the Nevada Nuclear Disposal site. Oh well, no more 6 pound pulls with it. Looking forward to next year, especially Bob Pope's new steam machine! I'll be willling to bet that it indeed uses "Heavy Water" in the boiler!

Bill Boyle
SA# 767

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hi Bruce,

The P-2 will complete my diesel collection - I'm ready to return to steam!

I plan to complete the steam locomotive I started before my 'diesel diversion'. But it will not be a powerhouse with a single axle powered by a single-acting oscillator. It will be some kind of steam powered baggage car with a fiberglass body to match my existing passenger cars. And don't worry, I won't fuel it with 20% nitro!

Here is the partially completed power truck (gearing is 4:1).

Regards,
Bob

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Hey Kent,

I did a LOT of things to my AC11SS. The "SS" (Super Steam) mods most note worthy were adding two leaf springs to transfer boiler weight to the articulated engine, boring out the cylinders, valve work, deleting the superheaters and auxillary throttle, added a fuel heater, and about a hundred other things. The only thing I didn't do is add lead. I also gloss coated it for less wind resistance (hehe).

Mitch Mitchell's Mogul has also gone through the "SS" treatment with dual eccentrics, 3/4" cylinders, and o-rings on the piston valves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts