1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This from Jerry Reshew:

2009 INTERNATIONAL SMALL SCALE STEAMUP

WRAP UP

It is finally over ! The tracks are all put away waiting for next year , the bills are mostly paid, and the planning for number 17 is under way. From what I heard from many of you this was a successful gathering of the initiated and we all should be thankful that there is still a feeling of wanting more - Sooo , here’s where we are for the next running of the trains. Our tracks will be taken from storage and assembled on the 10th of January , ready for running on that Sunday. We’ll have our takedown on Saturday night and put it all away on Sunday , the 17th. This change is what you guys asked for at the closing meeting and it looks like it will work out to give everyone a full week of activity. Our band concert and movie may shift , but you’ll be notified as we firm this all up.

The Carol Homuth flea market was a great adjunct and those of you who picked up a treasure will look back fondly at this effort. Carol and the other Canadians certainly have created a winner.

The unfortunate screw up on the shirts will not be repeated and I’ll be waiting for a refund for the items that never arrived . Terry Smelser tells me that there is a local source here in Mississippi that might be a place to do business with and I’ll look into it.

The Heritage Locomotive display was interesting and I heard from many of you that we should do it again . Your wishes are listened to and we will !

I want to thank all of the volunteers who gave their time to make this all happen. The track engineers from Michigan and Canada , and the guys from the Bayou Live Steamers made it all look simple , but it is a real challenge to get everything up and running in a few hours , and to take it all down again and get ito the storage unit. This ready bunch was augmented by some of the Florida gang , and I most appreciate them all elevating me to emeritus status because of my age - I didn’t have to lift much of anything.

Again, the ladies at the front desk are the key to our event ! While some of the front desk staff were unable to attend, Myrna Peacock,Lisa Holtorf , Carol Jobusch,Emily Kaldestad , and Fran Reinhardt pitched in and all went as if nothing was unusual . GREAT JOB!

ADDENDUM

We had 170 steamers at the event , from 30 states and 5 other countries.
For those of you with an actuarial bent , here’;s how it all shakes out :

Florida 22
Texas 15
Louisiana 11
Georgia and California 9 each
Virginia 8
Colorado and South Carolina 7 each
Mississippi and Michigan each had 6
Illinois and Washington 4 each
Kansas,Alabama,Maryland,Ohio,Missouri, Arkansas 3 each
Utah,North Carolina , and Wisconsin each had 2
And 1 Attendee came from Indiana, Pennsylvania,New Jersey,Arizona,Oklahoma,Kentucky,Iowa, and New York

Our International Visitors came from:

Canada 10
UK 4
Australia . Mexico, and Trinidad enriched us with i each

We had some walk - ins but I haven’t sorted out their forms.

We have 38 registrants for 2010 , and some of them are paid up so we are committed to doing it gain.

:

There were fourteen entries in the annual “Drawbar Pull” competition at the 2009 International Small Scale Steamup. There was a significant increase in the weight pulled by some locomotives this year. As a result of this increase there will be a new rule next year. There will be no depleted uranium or other exotic metals allowed as adhesion enhancers.

The results in each category are as follows:

One Axle
Larry Newman* Pirate Truck #T-1 1lb 14.5oz

Two Axle
Bill Boyle* “der über” Willi 6lb 7.7oz
Mark Tilden “Unmolested” Willi 2lb 7.5oz
Wil Davis Cricket 15.9oz

Three Axle
Mitch Mitchell* Accucraft Mogul 5lb 5.6oz
Bill Boyle Accucraft 1:29 0-6-0 3lb 16.0oz
Kent Killiam Accucraft S-12 2lb 13.8oz

Four Axle
Dave Orwig* Accucraft C-21 4lb 3.0oz
Daniel Tilden Aristocraft Mikado 3lb 10.0oz

Eight Axle
Dave Hottmann* Accucraft Cab Forward 10lb 3.2oz
Paul Lator Accucraft Cab Forward 4lb 2.0oz

Geared
Bob Pope* P-2 Diesel 10lb 9.8oz

Demo Run (Past Winner)
John Garrett Accucraft 4T Shay 10lb 4.9oz

Honorable Mention
Pat Darby Three Fingers 13lb 6.0oz

* Class trophy winners.

Bruce Gathman presided and the three fingers class still mysifies me .
If you want one of the trophies next year , just PRACTICE

It was all fun and I urge you to get your email forms in once we have the web site updated.

HAVE A WONDERFUL YEAR ,

Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case you didn't pick up on it, Diamondhead 2010 is now officially a week long affair:

"Our tracks will be taken from storage and assembled on the 10th of January , ready for running on that Sunday. We’ll have our takedown on Saturday night and put it all away on Sunday , the 17th. "

This may not be a change for a lot of you, but it is now OFFICIAL.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I had a lot of fun this year and hope there will be many more. Thanks for all the event organizers for making this a fun and cherished event. I am glad to put more faces with the forum names!

On to my third year at diamondhead, got to get that week off from work so I can fully participate! (instead of my usual 3 day-ers)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts