G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Art, good video. And yes I know it was not in your truck ALL the time..... but that's what your fellow steamers told me, hehe.

Rob, As you have seen ( if not go to the web site and take a look) the S2 has a LOT of small detail parts on it and Art being careful never turned the engine over. As a result the axle pump eccentric and axle boxes never saw any oil. They were completely dry and the teflon axle pump bearing was shedding teflon dust. All is working fine now.

It was getting plenty of steam oil, as was evident by what we saw inside the steam chest.

After some conversation with Art and Steve, I believe the fitting inside the smoke box may have started coming loose in transit from North Carolina to Texas, be didn't become obvious until after it took flight at which time it developed a 2nd larger steam leak under the smoke box.

The bad news for Art in now he needs MORE cars..
Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Posted By Rob Meadows on 01/20/2009 10:26 PM
Jeff, would you mind elaborating on the severe lack of maintenance. Perhaps there is something we could all learn. I don't mean to embarass you Art!

Actually Rob I am glad you asked. The engine is properly lubricated now as we turned it over before we ran at Steve's yesterday and took Art through the whole sequence. However, some of us tend to not baby our engines as others do. It reminded me that I had not lubricated the underside of my BR03 in quite a while so I have taken care of that also. And I am notorious for not cleaning my Accucraft engines often and they get really grungy. I do try and keep them lubricated as I don't want them to wear out before I do.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
HERE IS THE VIDEO I MADE OF THE LONG RUN OF THE S-2. SHE MUST HAVE RUNE CLOSE TO TWO HOURS, SOME SLOW SOME FAST. IT MAY BE A LITTLE LONG FOR SOMWW BUT YOU CAN WATCH WHAT YOU WANT. LATER IN THE VIDEO WE PUT TEN HEAVYWEIGHTS BEHIND HER AND SHE COULD HAVE PULLED MORE.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
While Art may be 73 years "young" and forget to do maintenance on a regular basis, I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone that has more fun and enjoys the Live Steam hobby more then him. We need more steamers like him.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
John,

Did you have more photos than the 29 currently listed on flicker a few weeks ago?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Posted By CapeCodSteam on 02/04/2009 2:06 PM
John,

Did you have more photos than the 29 currently listed on flicker a few weeks ago?

Sorry Kent, that is all I took. I did take some video of which I posted the link to YouTube. Rest of the time I was just too busy having fun.

John

21 - 27 of 27 Posts