G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a sorce for scale dimond plate? I'm adding a footplate to my ruby (we wouldn't want the poor fireman falling through the gap) and I would like for it to be diamond plate. Unfortunatly I know of a few sorce of plastic but none for metal, I know in the crane care thread they mentioned a source for 1/12 diamond plate, but I'm hoping to find something smaller then that in perhaps brass? Then again any metal would work. Or does anybody know of any good techniques for modeling it? I was thinking maybe talking a very thin sheet of brass and inprinting the pattern with a small flathead, and then glue it to a thicker bit of brass. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Try ema-models.com, in England. They have etched sheets in a few different patterns, suitable for our size work. Their sheets are very thin and must be laminated to a suitable backing sheet. Full name is: E.M.A. Model Supplies Limited.

Larry

·
Registered
243 Posts
Check out this topic for information on diamond plate.

Also you can have a look at my Crane Car thread for a mention of some 1:12 scale diamond plate. The 1:12 scale stuff is slightly on the large side for 1:20.3 but it still might be passable.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I have used HO scale from Plastruct and think its closest to scale. 1:29

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I thought about the 1/12 already, but i think it might be to big (i may be a little picky!). Also the plastruct stuff won't work being plastic and this is destined for a live steam loco and a fair amount of heat will be transfered into it. I may end up just going with 1/12.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Like I said in the other topic, the K&S Special Shapes stuff is probably the most easy to find but the tread pattern is not my favorite. I used it on my Regner Konrad bash because it does look more "old fashioned" so it was appropriate for that engine. I am also using some for the floor of a 1:20.3 scale steam tractor that I am working on. If you are savvy drawing stuff up on the computer, and you don't mind playing with chemicals, you could always pick up the Micro Mark etching kit and make your own in any pattern/size you want!

Regards,

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah thanks! That is exactly what I plan to use it for too! I just realized I had searched the live steam thread for stuff on diamond plate but not the model making forum, duh! BTW I love your regner bach, that is some of the best work I have seen in a while, and I really like the bench vise. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts