G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
To steam or not to steam
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that I will have large 8 oz. cans of butane fuel available at Diamond Head at a cost of $3.00 a can. We have been using this fuel at our steam-ups and find it works very well.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I know I need to purchase a few adaptors anyway. Will there be some available to buy?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Got my ticket.

·
To steam or not to steam
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be there all week starting on Monday. Just look for the guy with the hot dog cart with the trains on it. Or, just ask for Richie.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Just as a reminder, last year Jerry said he would no longer be furnishing butane fuel because of the increased cost and the high usage by the larger locomotives on the market today. I can bring some cases of the 8oz Chinese Grocery made in Korea cans if anyone is interested. I don't know what the current costs is but in the past it was around $35 for a case of 28 cans. Aristocraft now makes an adapter for these cans. It is part #84196 and the one I purchased from Mike's hobbies here in Porter cost $30. There are some other on the market as well and they are usually at Diamondhead.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Richie,
Are the Bayou Steamers still set to help Jerry with the track setup? If so, when do we start?

·
To steam or not to steam
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep the Bayou Live Steamers will be there to help set up the track. I don't have a time yet but I will get there around 8:00am on Monday.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Look in the Yellow Pages of your phone book under Petroleum Products. Steam Cylinder Oil is still a product that the oil companies sell. Several years ago I purchased a 5-gallon bucket of Shell 460 oil for about $30.00. Granted, FIVE-GALLONs is more oil than I will use in a life time, but $30.00 is about what some of the mail order places for Steam Oil will charge for a pint to be shipped to you.

·
To steam or not to steam
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks I found a bunch in the phone book. I will try calling on Monday. If I can get 5 gallons for 30 bucks every one will have steam oil!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Before you buy 5 gallons of steam oil, I suggest you read the information about steam oil on the Southern Steam Trains site and the Roundhouse site. Get steam oil that is compatable with the small steam lines on our Gauge One locomotives.

I once had a five gallon bucket of steam oil that I bought when I had a full size steam boat. After reading information about steam oil for Gauge One, I gave the five gallons to Houston Area Live Steamers for use in their locomotives.

At the cost of "correct" steam oil versus a blocked steam line I go for buying steam oil from one of the Gauge One dealers. I have some from both Roundhouse and from Southern Steam Trains.

I will be at Diamondhead sometime Tuesday evening. Look me up and I will give you enough steamoil for your stay at Diamondhead.

I am sure one of the dealers at Diamondhead will be selling steam oil. You can order steam oil on the internet from several of the Gauge One locomotive dealers. Send me a private mail if you would like some links to the dealers.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
My Brother and I get our steam oil from Green Velvet. You can order it by the pint, quart, gallon or cases of each. For our use get the lightest available, Sapon-A-Max
Formula 3 (ISO460). If you have questions just call them. They know all about small scale steam engines and what they need.

http://www.steamenginelube.com/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.