G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i planned a nice big room for my railroad.
now it looks like this:

at last i could sell the rest of my ranch. so all those important things, we did not need in the last five years, have to be brought here.
it will take months, till we got all that crap sorted out...

but at least i could hold my workshopcorner junkfree

(seems, that the plan for the bridge can be realized without changes - only later)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garage Sale
Dumpster
as it comes out, both are partially right.
we will sort out, hold what we think we may need again (or what has sentimental value) burn the worst things, sell some (i am opening a temporary second hand corner in my supermarket) and donate the best/most curious to the fundus of our local school-theatre group.
but that will take time.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Looks in better shape than my train room did during much of the construction process. (and still does, in places). When I built the addition to the layout, the junk sort of overflowed into a nearby bedroom...

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
That's clean and empty compared to my Workshop and Garage and they are filling as I type! Well not literally but I'll be making another set of trips this weeknd to my mothers and coming back with at least two loads of "stuff" that will be yard saled eventually. (sigh)

You've got plenty of room yet as I'm stack 3/4 to the ceiling in places!

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Ah quite yer whinnin' you got plenty of room to start building

You should have seen my garage while I was building, I was literally stepping over things, moving boxes from one stack to another, so no sympathy, get out there and start building
/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
When we moved into our large house 26 years ago, everything that had to be saved “in case we need it” was stored in the basement. Despite being over 1000 square feet, the basement was filled with boxes except for little pathways through them. My packrat wife was happy, but the mess drove me crazy.

Each week I bought and bolted together a couple of bays of metal shelving, and 20 boxes were moved off the floor. Sixteen bays of shelving, a frosty material dispute, and a garage sale later; all the boxes were off the floor.

Unfortunately even in a dry basement, over time cardboard will absorb humidity and smell. So each week I bought ten plastic storage bins and removed the cardboard boxes from one bay of shelving. Half a year, another frosty marital dispute, and another garage sale later; all the cardboard boxes were gone. Now when we actually “really needed something” from the basement it could be found.

A long time passes ….. and I become a model railroad geek. As you know nobody collects more junk than model railroaders. The shelves quickly overflow with locomotives, cars, track, books, video tapes and tools. The boss now feels justified invoking the dreaded “in case we need it” clause; and the basement collects junk at an alarming rate. Too old and tired to fight with the boss and sort through the rising tide of junk, I give up and have the storage rooms walled off and lay claim to a small workshop area. I ignore all suggestions to install a dropped ceiling and engineered hardwood floor in the basement; as that would quickly turn my remaining refuge into a depository for old furniture as the boss continues to remodel the house.

No one ever listens to free advice, but if you are considering bays of shelving, buy the new plastic ones. Unlike the flimsy metal ones that take an hour to bolt together, the plastic ones tap together in a minute and are actually stronger than the tinplate ones. Over the years the metal shelves will scratch and rust, particularly in a damp environment like a garage. The plastic ones won’t scratch or rust, and can be spray washed clean. Should they have to be disassembled for moving, the plastic ones will tap apart easily and stack neatly.

If I had to move, my metal ones would be the first items out on the driveway at a giant garage sale. Hopefully buyers would ignore the “free to a good home” sign the boss would have stuck on my back.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
being most impressed by the second pic from tmejia, none the less i see, that i am by no way the only one suffering from the "we might need it someday"-desease.

paul, i will not buy a single shelf for that stuff. i will just make a partial flooring for the attic of the supermarket. (50' x 67') to put the junk there.
that was the space i planned for my layout. -but the boss decided, i should stay downstairs (against future times, when i might not be able to get up steps)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.