G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a recent thread on depth of field in model train photography, I've been playing with various techniques to try to get that oblique short where the whole of the locomotive is in focus. I've tried lenses that allow you stop down to F32, a cheap tilt lens accessory and using software to merge multiple images (focus stacking).

My conclusion is that focus stacking is the easiest technique. This image was merged from 8 shots, each focused progressively down the locomotive. The original is 60 megapixels and the detail doesn't really come out when imbedded on the forum, so I also included some extracts to show the details.

For the camera nerds, the lens was a 45mm Zeiss Biogen which I attached to a Sony A7R iv via a Contax adaptor. Shots were ISO400, F8, 1/100.

Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Motor vehicle

Close up detail from the front and back.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Office equipment Typewriter

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What software did you use?
Photoshop. I tried a demo version of Helicon but it didn't seem to offer a lot beyond Photoshop that I already have. GIMP (free) does apparently allow focus stacking but I haven't tried it. As with all things GIMP, seems you need a PhD in AstroPhysics just to understand the instructions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use PS daily in my side business. For years I used the stack process for shooting small products for Amazon. I've not used one since HS but a pinhole might give an interesting image. It is stunning detail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts