G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just finishing up my combination depot and freight house and started thinking about signs that would have been 
displayed on a vintage 1939 building like this.
Obviously the town name with elevation in feet.  I was also thinking telephone, western union, railway express.
What about thinks like; waiting room, no loitering etc. 
Anyone have any info on web sites that might help?
Thanks for your time.
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Then maybe we should start handing out fines to baseball players and teenagers. Seems to be a real spitting epodemic these days. It grosses me out. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Del Tapparo on 03/08/2008 8:58 PM
Then maybe we should start handing out fines to baseball players and teenagers. Seems to be a real spitting epodemic these days. It grosses me out. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sick.gif

Laws and ordinances are still on the books, but because the Sanitariums are few and far between nobody "remembers": anymore.  I remember being told to walk on the other side of the street from the Sanitarium "just in case".

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
My office overlooks a major baseball park. I have said for years, "where else can you see 25 millionaires sitting in a row spitting on the floor." 

On second thought this tread is about signage for Depots.  I bought one of those sheets with old signs and spray mounted it on aluminum flashing sheet.  Then spray it with a exterior polyurethane dull coat.  I don't have any real experience with the signs being outside, but some say inkjet printer ink doesn't hold up when wet.

There have been previous threads which have given great websites for old signs.  I have sat there for hours, doing a right click, to save pictures to my local drive.  I guess you could then take them to a WalMart or Target and get them printed on photo paper.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Need a ticket window with maybe some destinations, times and prices.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Maybe some of us could get together to share the cost of having Del Tapparo make up some vinyl signs for us. The vinyl holds up exceptionally well outdoors and would of course be fine for indoors too.

Some needed signs that come to mind...
Train board to list arrivals and departures..every depot had one, usually black w/white lettring
Railway Express Diamond sign
Wells Fargo Express sign
Public Telephone with the blue bell on it. These used to be displayed all over and not just at depots.
Baggage sign
Tickets
Ticket Office
Waiting Room
Passengers
Mens
Ladies
His
Hers
Employees Only
Express
Egg Depot
Milk Depot
Office
Etc.

How about it Del? I think a sheet with multiple signs on it would be a big seller. :)

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Posted By Richard Smith on 03/09/2008 12:53 PM
Maybe some of us could get together to share the cost of having Del Tapparo make up some vinyl signs for us. The vinyl holds up exceptionally well outdoors and would of course be fine for indoors too.

Some needed signs that come to mind...
Train board to list arrivals and departures..every depot had one, usually black w/white lettring
Railway Express Diamond sign
Wells Fargo Express sign
Public Telephone with the blue bell on it. These used to be displayed all over and not just at depots.
Baggage sign
Tickets
Ticket Office
Waiting Room
Passengers
Mens
Ladies
His
Hers
Employees Only
Express
Egg Depot
Milk Depot
Office
Etc.

How about it Del? I think a sheet with multiple signs on it would be a big seller. :)" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/smile.gif" />

Well, I'll give it some thought. It's a good idea. My plate is pretty full at the moment though. Lots of Critter Control projects in the works. If you or someone else wants to gather up the artwork, it would be simple enough for me to make them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Put a Western Union sign on the clock inside the waiting room. And that clock should be big. When I was a kid I watched that clock near the top of the hour to see it change. The minute hand often moved 2 or 3 minutes at a time then.

Mark

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for the ideas.

Richard,
Great list of signs, lots I hadn't thought of.  That's why I asked here.

Steve,
Thanks for the great link.  How was the vacation?

Having a sheet of Vinyl signs made up as a stock item is a great idea. but most times 
the individual lettering can't be made small enough to look right.  Total signs like Railway Express
with the background included would work well.

Thanks all 
Rick

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Black laser printers hold up quite well. I've not tried color, but there's one at work that I might be able to play with.

I just picked up some white ink-jet compatible adhesive vinyl sheets from www.papilio.com, and I'm going to play with that this spring with my ink-jet printer to see how it holds up outdoors. Preliminary tests seem to show they withstand moisture very nicely. Once sprayed with a UV-stable sealer, I'd imagine they'd hold up a good, long while. The sheets are touted as being suitable for commercial outdoor applications.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
"No smoking
Footwear permitted."

(Perhaps too 21st century.)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
"Well, I'll give it some thought. It's a good idea. My plate is pretty full at the moment though. Lots of Critter Control projects in the works. If you or someone else wants to gather up the artwork, it would be simple enough for me to make them."

Del,
I emailed you some signage. Only thing to figure out will be sizes.
:)

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all,
Great picture Jack, good looking signage.

Went by the sign shop today and they are making the depot name/elevation signs.
I went on the net last night and found signs for; phone, express, telegraph, etc. and copied to disk.
Will take them to sign shop tomorrow and see about producing them.  

Thanks again for input.
Rick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts