G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys in case noone knows Dennis Sirrine, you can see his layout here on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HoCTo1SLHI&feature=channel_page

Surely he is not the only one who has flawless track like this. What I'd like to know is, besides a "laser leveller", how did he do it? Does anyone have any blogs, links, or anything like that where one can get some real good track laying information? I would love my trains to operate as well as his do. Now granted, he is a godzillionaire, but hopefully there is a way to do it without having to sell my soul lol.

-Will

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
That Sirrine layout is astonishing

I think he laid it all on concrete? That's what Marty Cozad does--pours concrete on the right of way. Then you can get the cement dead level and lay the track on that

I've had really good luck with the ladder method, and I didn't even bother to drive the posts below the frost line--some of them are only six-eight inches in the ground. I've had some shifting, but much less than I expected. at the same time, I have some nagging spot where I just can't get it leveled out, and I start talking to my wife about the virtues of concrete and she frowns in a familiar way

·
Super Modulator
20,991 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Posted By lownote on 01/08/2009 4:28 PM
That Sirrine layout is astonishing

I think he laid it all on concrete?

Yes, all laid on poured concrete pads with a covering under the tracks as I recall from seeing it not run twice. All air switching.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You dont need to be a godzillionaire to have a nice RR, just take your time, build it rite and dont half ass it and it will run great my motto { think twice do once} ....... but his layout is sweet........... along with them looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong USA trains trians...
Nick

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Very clean RR. I love the track work.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
It is a beatufull rail road. But Like a lot of RR's it is not with out issues. He Does have his problems.

I have seen it in person and if you get the chance you should see it.

He was on the 2008 open house tour for Eaglewings Iron Craft. But when I got to the house He wa closed due to Mechinal problems

If he is on the list this year I will attempt to see it agin.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Yes its a great looking RR. As some have mentioned he had some operating issues when I was there. But it's the type of system he chose to use and I sure was not impressed with it. Track work was fantastic and he took the time to do it right for the system he used. Not having to worry about extreme cold temps his concrete base works great and the method he chose to fasten it down with. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
20,991 Posts
On that picture on my site, with the track extending from the "garage", the outdoor setup track is as long as the garage, if you look at google maps to see his place, it is just LONG! I think that track is 50-60 feet outside the "garage".

Pretty jaw-dropping. He does use air-powered switches too, although I have him beat on remote control. Ha ha... there's a funny story behind this I'll tell some day.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
What type of track power is Dennis running.
What wireless control does he use, cant make system out in the videos.
Thanks, Alan

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
It's just a stunning railroad. But I assume with that much track and that many locos, you're going to have troubles--just too many variables. Battereis charged/not charged, locos sharing frequencies--I mean, how does he keep track of what's running on hat?. It's still magnificent and I'd love to see it and it'd be fun to have those headaches

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Just shows to go ya you can do almost anything if you have enough money and time, and i guess if you are a gazzillionaire too it helps. The Regal

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By blueregal on 01/10/2009 9:15 AM
Just shows to go ya you can do almost anything if you have enough money and time, and i guess if you are a gazzillionaire too it helps. The Regal

Actully the Dishwasher built it between meal rushes at the resturant he owns

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Posted By John J on 01/10/2009 10:16 AM
Posted By blueregal on 01/10/2009 9:15 AM

Actully the Dishwasher built it between meal rushes at the resturant he owns

And from what I observed/heard, some restaurant staff run it during open houses.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Dennis' layout is nice, and offers some stunning visuals.
As others have noted, there can be "issues" with just about any layout, and they can seem to multiply with bigger ones.
But I guess I'm sort of partial to mine...

·
Super Modulator
20,991 Posts
He had DC track power and battery powered AirWire.

No track power issues, it's the control system. I'd change him to something else if it was my decision. With how long he likes to run, and the power needed for multiple locos and long trains, and lighted cars, I would go track power and DCC, cost is not an object. He is using a fair number of QSIs already.

I saw range/control issues with the AirWire, but I cannot attest to the quality of the installs.

Anyway, the track is sound, and that's the hardest thing and costliest and biggest pain in the arse.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 01/10/2009 5:59 PM

Anyway, the track is sound, and that's the hardest thing and costliest and biggest pain in the arse.

Regards, Greg

I don't think track is in any way his costliest item. You saw the literally dozens of racks of train cars and only God knows how many engines that were in there. And that was just on the floor level. I heard there was more upstairs than downstairs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts