G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how to deal with wildlife traffic thru the layout, especially deer? My yard is unfenced and the deer have an established trail right where my future layout is going to go.

I'm thinking some kind of heavy duty roadbed will be necessary. Thoughts?

Neal

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Maybe elevate it so they go around it rather than over it. You can't beat them, so you have to work with them.

·
Master of Disaster
867 Posts
I have found that a 30-06 to a 7 MM Remington mag does the work pretty well!;)

For thiose who don't like noise, you could always use a compound bow....that also works pretty well.

If these examples don't suite you I think you can purchase a commercially available powder or what ever that you spread on the ground and it will keep them at bay....that I am not as sure of as the guns.

I have also heard that a certain plant will work but both of the last remities names escapes me....maybe this will get some more responses with names.

But never ever buy the Buck lure and spread it on the ground or bucks will show up looking for the girls and be pretty pissed off when there aren't any!

I like the 7 mm best!;)

Bubba

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on out for bow season, Madstang. Starts August 30 here in JVille, OR. But leave that 30-06 at home - we live in city limits and discharging firearms isn't allowed. Think the deer have figured that out!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
There was a discussion here some time last year about a motion detector that turned on a water spray that some said worked fairly well, not only for deer but other small destructive animals (and maybe a burglar or two!)

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I think Kevin said he used plastic bags, tied them to various trees. Not much wind moves them around and scares the deer.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
To follow up on Bubba's thoughts, I have two friends that can help, Mr Remmington and Mr. Weatherby. I've got a great recipie for vennison thurenger sausage, and a terrific slow cooked BBQ recipie as well, great with pork or vennison..

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Neal
I was talking to a friend at work today and he said he gets human hair from the beauty shop and puts it around his garden. He has not had any problem with deer since. You may have to add more every once in a while. He says it's the best thing to use. Also it's free. Just have a local shop save you some.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I've heard of the hair thing before.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I have (had) the same problem. I got 2 of those motion sensor water scarecrows and hooked
them in tandem. Took care of the problem. Works on humans, too.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
There's a very detailed description in the following link about one person's attempt to deal with deer. It was marginally successful but it does reveal a new technique in deer control...and the author does specifically recite a bunch of lessons learned on what worked and what didn't work. Scroll down the page to read the details.

click here

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Unfortunately, you have to be there to run the gun at all times. The hours you are asleep are the times the dear deer will wander through. If you automate it such that it fires at any "body" movement then you run the risk if hitting the meter reader, mailman, neighbor's hired surveyor, and any number of people that might have a valid excuse to be on your property and could sue the property out from under you if you hit them (or even seemed to come close).

·
Registered
87 Posts
The hair works! At least for a while, but it needs to be renewed occasionally.

Last year I lost all the Cannas, lugustrums and agapanthas to deer and rabbits. I tried several things, but the best so far is garlic oil and hot cayenne pepper spray! The garlic oil is a commercial product to be mixed with water and a drop or two of soap. Add the ground cayenne pepper and spray the plants every couple of days for a about 2 weeks and it trains them off, they'll leave them alone but you'll need to respray after you water or it rains and then about every week to two weeks depending on the general conditions in your area.

Try A.M. Leonard or Gempler's on line for the garlic oil.

When it's dry here in west Texas, the yard and the farm fields next door are the only thing green and you can't stop them from trying to brouse the forbs and woody shrubs.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
There are several sights dealing with the deer problem. All of them talk about various techniques for scaring away deer. However, the bottom line on

most of what I read was DEER FENCING. It seems that the soap, dried blood, scarecrows, what have you just don't work 100% of the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts