G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised yesterday to see the December GR magazine in the pile of mail! The cover story is Marc Horovitz's railway. I looked at most of the pictures, but didn't have time to read the articles yet. Looks good.

Mark

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Got mine yesterday to.

. Looks like a neat article and looks likes he into live steam.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Mine was waiting in the box today!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Arrived today , good one , interesting , especially the FULL page add of RLD Hobbies , and the St Aubins info , and Watts Trains info , changeing world of large scale train dealers . Also more good reading things .

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dennis,
Have not gotten mine in Georgia yet. What IS going on with the world of large scale train dealers? The suspense is killing me! Please provide a little more info, like what is different about the ads, ordering, pricing, etc?

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I also got mine yesterday. St Abins big news. Not really liking the adds now. Also to get discounts you got to sign up to another site. Bummer.
I don't mind a few bucks to join but now it's getting ridicules will not have money to even buy trains.
Later RJD

·
Registered
514 Posts
I understand that it is a 25th. Anniversary Edition.

It will be a couple of weeks most likely before I see a copy on the newsagents shelves. But they say "anything worth having is worth waiting for" so I will await the magazines arrival over here.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Finally an issue worth reading rather than just scanning and filing away. Perhaps it is because it is an anniversary issue.

Vender ads are very disconcerting and suggest a trend toward adding money to the till using any method possible. Paying to get a discount is not a discount. Whoever thinks so is severely misguided and may even prompt a potential customer to look elsewhere. With the sad closing of San-Val Discounts not so long ago, I moved most of my buying loyalty to Robby Dascotte at RLD Hobbies. Could have been a wise move since he has not pounced on the idea of charging so I can make a purchase. Instead, his ad is most illuminating and attractive.

Bob

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Ted it seems that its a bit more different concerning St Aubins and the LSOL . St Aubins may not have the prices in their adds because of changeing conditions etc .................
Watts is moving and doing some broad new ideas , and they may be at two stores ?
Meanwhile , RLD Hobbies , as others have stated , is still a great price place to deal with , just low prices and great service . Lots of reading in this issue .

It may be intersting what others comments may or may not be ?

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
My GR arrived today. Just glanced through it. I think it is going to be a good issue.

Paying to get a discount is confusing. It is like a cover charge at a bar. You have to pay to get in to pay for drinks once you get in there.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Posted By Ted Yarbrough on 10/31/2008 3:31 PM
Dennis,
Have not gotten mine in Georgia yet. What IS going on with the world of large scale train dealers? The suspense is killing me! Please provide a little more info, like what is different about the ads, ordering, pricing, etc?

Ted....St Aubins included a full page explanation on why they were NOT going to publish prices in GR anymore...and how to get prices. Said, the prices were always wrong...took up expensive ad space...prices were really based on what it cost them to buy MORE of the same items...that the up/down financial world they worked in encouraged them to be flexible on price (daily)....they'll beat any price, etc. I thought it to be a realistic and accurate explanation on why they had chosen to NOT include price in their GR ads. It also means, one price...at the store, on the phone, or over the internet...for THAT day. I think that should improve customer relations in that it stops the internet vs phone pricing issues we've read about.

The downside, of course, is that we can't tell if they're advertising a bargain. Bargain shoppers lose.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
No GR today (Halloween), but we had a lot of vacation mail, plus two priority mail boxes of junk we shipped home, so maybe the mailman was just overwhelmed.

However--and maybe I should mention this in a separate post--the latest issue of Scale Rails, the NMRA club pub, has an excellent article on how to add smoke to your loco photos, using Photo Shop Elements. This is one intense article and the most comprehensive and detailed piece on model train photography I've ever seen in any magazine or even on any website.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
It will be interesting to see how long St. Aubins leaves prices off the ads. One of the things that I've always found annoying when looking for camera equipment is when retailers list the price as "call for price" instead of stating what it is. In those cases, it's because of minimum advertised pricing guidelines set by the manufacturer, but the effect is the same. I look elsewhere. When I look at an ad (specifically a multi-page catalog style ad), I expect to see prices. I don't have the time to burn the phone calling 6 different people, especially on larger orders. I want to write up my order, call or mail it in, and be done. I don't see their internet business suffering much, but I'll bet their phone sales drop off. If they don't list a price and the other guys do, I'd bet the others' phones will ring more often. Not everyone goes on-line to check the latest prices. If they did that, they wouldn't need to look at the magazine ads.

By the same token, it's also annoying to see an on-line price, then call or show up at the store only to find out the price at the store is higher, so in that regard, it's a definite improvement. I hope other retailers would take the hint. Time will tell.

Later,

K

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
About the only article worth reading anymore in GR is Scribblings On A Workshop Wall by Peter Jones...he has talent..

I also found the history of Charles Ro Supply/USA Trains very interesting!!

I'm glad to see G Scale Junction back with a 2 page add!!

To me the St. Aubin rhetoric is nothing more than a plea for help! I look at it as they need a new customer base to burn thru so what better way then to "team up"?? Heck the Director of the Train Store can't even smile and the Vice President offers a apology to those that have been burned in the past and then wants us to tell him why!! What's this make about the sixth GR issue where Aubins is trying to explain how they price stuff?? enuff allready plz...

What I don't like about the December GR is what happened with Christmas??

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Mike Reilley on 10/31/2008 11:20 PM
Posted By Ted Yarbrough on 10/31/2008 3:31 PM
Dennis,
(snip)
The downside, of course, is that we can't tell if they're advertising a bargain. Bargain shoppers lose.

Unfortunately, it also ignores the old adage:

"If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

When I see an advert for anything, if it does not include a price, I turn the page... doesn't matter if it is a train or food or computer or TV or car or ???, if they don't know the price, I don't either. Same thing happens in a store... if the price is not posted somewhere easily discernible, then I consider the item is either FREE or NOT FOR SALE, and I am fairly certain things are not FREE, so I don't even test that hypothesis. There is a tool store near here that does not price the tools on the shelves, makes it really hard to try to compare value. You have to accost a sales Representative and ask them the price, they then go look it up and come back 5 minutes later and tell you. If you then ask about the next tool, it all happens again... if I had a whole day to kill, I'd go in and ask the price of every tool in the place!

Ambiguity in price, caused by currency fluctuations and manufacturer price variations are covered by the disclaimer, "Prices subject to change" and I recognize that those aforementioned things cause prices to vary. But listing a comparative price helps me, the BUYER, to make value comparisons BEFORE I waste my time (and emotions).

Not listing the price is the same as not listing the scale, I just turn the page... no need to get all excited about some pretty bauble if it is not the correct scale or price for me.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I am not a sale freek. If I see something I want and it's "On Sale" fine. If the pirice is right and I can afford it I will buy it.

On the other hand. If there is no price in the add I may not take the time to call to get a price.

I guess I am just lazy.

I do sometimes surf the Web Sites.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts