G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but...
Is there any way to print white? I tried printing yellow
onto a clear decal sheet but it was too opaque to see on a black tender. Anyone made there own decals?

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I do that by printing "white" on clear decal sheet, painting white on the train and putting the decal over it. The black, however isn't very opaque, so you have to disguise it a bit. I used a little weathering on a caboose. Since I wanted a painted out, sloppy look, it didn't turn out too bad, though I think I should take this "prr truscan" paint and do the rest of the caboose.

My gold "Asylum Valley" lettering is the same. Since it's isolated from the rest of the car, it looks pretty good.

Otherwise, contact Stan Cedarleaf or Del Taparro right here on MLS. They'll likely chime in here shortly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can't speak on using home printers, but Stan has printed everthing for me, and he can print "white". Everything he has done for me is great, in fact I am getting ready to have him work me up another sheet of decals on a upcoming project for the RR.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Chris,

Regular printers cannot print white, but the ALPS printers could. They are no longer made, but several folks, including Stan Cederleaf have them--he did some decals for me and they were great!!

Here is my GP-38-2 that he did decals for me.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/14/postid/20844/view/topic/Default.aspx

Light colors, as you have experienced also don't come out well on laser or inkjet printers. You can get creative though. If you look closely at the photos of my engine you will see a few "warning" labels on the engine. I did those myself using Microsoft publisher and my inkjet printer on white decal paper--the yellow colors show up well, and the "white" letters are the paper showing thru the red ink--or the American flag is red and blue printed on a whte background and then trimmed close to the edge. I had stan print the logos and stripes because they just did not work without the ALPS printer.

Hope that is clearer than mud.

Matt

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Try Shawmut Car Shops at http://shawmutcarshops.com/index.html He has done all of my decals for me. Just got 9 sheets from him. Just $18 per sheet plus shipping. He does great work and also does custom cars. Will post some pictures later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts