G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had decals "dry up" so to speak..put them in water & they fall apart . 5 to 8 yrs old while other are ok ..i heat mostly w/wood-perhaps to dry ?? perhaps i should store em' in da garage which is only heated 2 to 4 times a week...i live in upstate NY

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mike,
What I do is put my decals in a ziploc bag, push out all the air, then put it in a desk drawer. There's heat in the room, but not the amount of heat a wood stove would put off.
I've got decals that are several years old and still work well.

Good luck

·
Vendor
3,323 Posts
Posted By Steamnutt on 01/14/2009 6:22 PM
Mike,
What I do is put my decals in a ziploc bag, push out all the air, then put it in a desk drawer. There's heat in the room, but not the amount of heat a wood stove would put off.
I've got decals that are several years old and still work well.

Good luck

That's a very good way to store them.

I've been using a clear plastic self sealing envelope in the past year for the finished work which is a very good sealer to help preserve them.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Mike,

There is a product called "Micro Superfilm" made by Microscale Decal Co. It is a liquid which you just paint onto the old decal sheet with a brush. Don't worry about doing a smooth job, just cover everything. In about a half hour, you can cut and soak your decals without worrying if they will come apart or not. It works like a charm every time. I have never had an old decal sheet come apart since using this stuff. The bottle I have is about 15 yrs old and is still good. No problems. Clean up of your brush is with alcohol or Lacquer thinner. I use a flat, 1/2 inch wide artists brush for this. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Krlon cristal clear works very well for this also. have only had one problem with this and that was with a set of hartford decals from the new owners. i did a very old set of thin film decals yesterday and used them in about an hour.

Al P.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts