G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start posting, I guess I should introduce myself.

I have just started to get into G-Scale for my son. (yeah, right...) We just bought an Aristo-Craft 040 Starter set over Christmas and it is currently sitting on the back lawn. I hope to add things in the future, but my son has fun making his own buildings and things out of cardboard. I have some space for a semi-permanent layout so as soon as things get leveled it will be moved.

I am an electrical engineer, so I am not afraid of a soldering iron, but I usually plan my projects carefully (i.e., it takes me a long time to get to them...).

I really appreciate all the information here and hope to be a good neighbor.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Your son has the right idea, if building your own structures pleases you then you are way ahead of the game. Why don't you get a used engine and take the top off of it so he can build his own engine? Or get some flat cars and let him build his own cars?

By the way, welcome and happy railroading.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Pleased to meet you!

You've been greeted by the brat. Nothing worse can happen to you here

but my son has fun making his own buildings and things out of cardboard

The two of you are off to a great start!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I am thinking of getting him some of the HLW minis since his idea of railroad operations includes moving dirt from place to place! (He is 9, BTW).

We had a big cardboard box from a BBQ I had bought recently (It is BBQ weather here right now! Hee, Hee!) and he made that into a station he can crawl into himself. He even put a little schedule board inside to keep track of arrivals and departures.

Thanks for the welcome!

Keith.

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Keith,

There are quite a few of us here on this site in the So Cal area. Pretty close group. Welcome.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gary,
We have certainly enjoyed the live steamers a few times - as well as the layout in Torrrance.

Keith

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Hi Keith,

Welcome to MLS. I'm sure glad you bought the train for your son. :) :)

I was going to ask if he had just been born and that was his first gift but I see that he's 9 years old. It's still a good gift for his father. :) That way when your son is in designing software on the computer, you can be running the train. Just to make sure it works right... :)

I can fully recommend the Hartland shorties for your train. They're great. The only reommendation would be to put the same size metal wheels on them. I generally use the large Bachmann wheels on mine. It lowers the center of gravity and makes them roll much better. I have a stable of them.

Glad to have you on board. This is a great place.

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Posted By KVBarkley on 01/16/2009 4:22 PM
Before I start posting, I guess I should introduce myself.

I am an electrical engineer, so I am not afraid of a soldering iron, but I usually plan my projects carefully (i.e., it takes me a long time to get to them...).

Me too...and I find the planning (and dreaming) part to be very enjoyable. Others prefer to put track down and get er goin'. That's a great thing about this hobby...so many ways to do so many things.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Well, I was 9 when dad (also an EE) and I started our garden railway. In my case, it wasn't dirt, but Star Wars figures that needed transport. I'll definitely echo what others are saying relative to letting his imagination set the course for where you take the railroad.

One suggestion--look for those yard signs made from corrugated plastic. They're workable just like cardboard, and many folks have built some very intricate structures using the material. It's weatherproof, so it can stay outside in the rain (though we all know it never rains in sunny California. :) ). You can often purchase a large sheet of the stuff from a sign shop for larger projects.

Enjoy the journey.

Later,

K

1 - 11 of 11 Posts