G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a GP9 from USA Trains and the only transformer I have is the LGB starter pack transformer which only puts out 1 AMP. Will I damage the GP9 motor, lights, and smoke generator if I run it with the LGB starter pack transformer? I haven't tried running it yet, because I am nervous to damage it. I'm assuming it won't even get enough amps to run the motor, lights, and smoke together anyways.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable DC transformer for the USA Trains GP9?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am no expert on electronics, but the LGB 1Amp power supply from a starter set likely will not have enough power for your USA loco... especially if you are running smoke too. (Smoke usually adds about 1/2 an Amp by itself.) Since USA locos usually ask for more power than LGB and Piko's, you are likely going to need 2-3 Amps to feel more comfortable running your loco.

·
Super Modulator
21,124 Posts
More likely to damage the LGB supply by presenting a continuous overload.

The transformer question is a mess, very few G scale ones are available, you need about 18-24 volts in G scale, depending on the locomotive, and for a single train, 5 amps would be good. 2 amps is very marginal, and without smoke. Most of what you find is HO or just poor quality, for example the smaller MRC units.

Another issue is that USA Trains locos are notorious current hogs.

Since getting a good power system for DC will not be super cheap, you need to buy something that will last you for a while. Will you be buying and running a second loco in the future? Will you be converting to DCC in the future?

Also, there are some great DC supplies but in the hundreds of dollars, so do you have a budget?

Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a few of the USAT locos and they do pull current, and the power supply will crash, not the loco. Depending on what you want to do and your budget, there are easy and reasonable power supplies out there. My backup supply is just a power pack and controller wired together and bought on Amazon. My main is a Bridgewerks 15amp unit. Both ends of the spectrum and both work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts