G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To Whom It May Concern - Are there any folks in this group that model the Rio Grande narrow gauge in "finescale" 1/2"? I would certainly like to communicate with anyone that might be persuing this avenue. I would not be oposed to someone modeling in 1/2" scale but using 45mm track. I'm not really new to the scale, but I am pursuing it actively now.

Thanks - Ken

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
RE: D&RGW Narrow Gauge Finescale 1/2" ???

1/2" scale or 1:24 finescale modeling went out of vogue about a decade ago. There was a time when 1:24 finescale models and parts were made. Today, you will find the finescale modelers working in 1:20.3 scale almost exclusively.

-Brian

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brian et. al. - 1:24 finescale modeling may have gone "out of vogue", as you say, but the models and parts available are much more prolific then you apparently realize. Certainly not trying to be argumentative here in any way but I wouldn't go so far as to say the finescale modelers work in 1:20.3 almost exclusively. Of course, "almost" is the operative word in your assertion.

I do know a number of 1/2" scale modelers, and I was just trying to see if I could shake any more out of the "My Large Scale" bushes.

If anyone out there has an "out of vogue" Sunset 1/2" scale C-16 they would like to part with, please let me know.

Thanks - Ken

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts

Hello Kenneth.
Would you care to share with us a list of what is currently available by way of 1/24th scale locos, rolling stock, kits, parts & accessories.

Even though 45 mm gauge track is not correct for 1/24th scale 3' gauge it is pretty close to 1/24th 3' 6" gauge. Which is arguably much more prolific in real life Worldwide than 3' gauge.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I do know that early Accucraft offerings were scaled 1:24 and they come up for sale on consignment at Caboose Hobbies in Denver quite often! I have also seen plenty of 1:24 scaled parts and accessories on the shelves right along side the 1:20.3 stuff too!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tony - I do have a list that has been put together by Light Rail Associates and with their approval I would be glad to share that with you. Things are being added to that list quite regularly, and if you can wait for a few short weeks, there should be some very interesting D&RGW items to add to that it.

You have very fine 1/2" narrow guage modelers on your side of the world. - Ken

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

The Precision Scale West Side Lumber Co. Shay 15 that I had was 1:24 scale that ran on 45mm track. It was also available when new with 1-1/2" gauge trucks for those that wished for an extra charge.

Your list sounds most interesting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K

The model at Caboose Hobbies is a C-16 that was done by Sunset. That is what I am looking for but the price they are asking is why out of line IMO. I would not give that much for a model that will need to be regauged to finescale 1 1/2" gauge and the tender is totally incorrect for the 268. Both operations can be a bit pricey. And overall, the model looks very rough.

But thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate it.

K2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts