G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any custom builders out there? This is for a large project I am quoting. Power should be electric and RC.
Build would need to be to high fidelity.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Are there any custom builders out there?
I only know of Bill Allen here in the USA, but I'm sure there might be someone else.

The G1MRA Journal has several ads in the back for custom locomotive builders, all in the UK.

WuHu/Bowande in China re quite receptive to projects as long as they are adequately funded.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Could you be a little more specific?
Is this a steam, diesel or electric locomotive?
To what scale?
Maybe there is something similar that can be adapted, rather then a complete scratch build.
When you say 'high fidelity', do you want it built in brass, or will plastic work for you?
I think that it all helps to give a clearer picture as to what you want.
Regards,
David Leech, Delta, Canada

·
Registered
92 Posts
It sounds like you are looking for either track powered or battery powered locos with RC control. For live steam, as already stated, Bill Allen would be the man to talk to.

I would suggest getting in contact with Riekus Van Der Westhuizen in South Africa. He is a brilliant modeler and primarily makes SAR diesel locos and rolling stock in 1:24 scale. He might be willing to take on a project of a different scale such as 1:20.3 or 1:32. His attention to detail and his experimentations with custom smoke units and fans make his work exceed the description of "High Fidelity." Truly impressive stuff he makes. Here is a video of one of his great builds, check his YouTube channel for more:

If you are interested in getting in touch with him, send me a PM and I will provide his email. I don't think I have seen him post his email on his company webstore or anywhere else online, so I'd rather not put it here in a public place in case it is a personal email address that can get grabbed by the web crawlers.

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, some more detail. Steam only. Battery powered with radio control. 3/8" scale.
Models can be any material, with a preference for brass and other metals.

Models will need to be very faithful to the prototypes. Things like driver spoke count can vary, but they should hold up to very close scrutiny to prototype drawings(which will be supplied.) If this makes sense to anyone, models made from model railroad type drawings will not be good enough. I don't mean to sound snooty, but this is what this project demands. Looking for museum quality examples. I can supply more info to interested parties in a PM.

I didn't mention it initially but passenger and freight cars will also be required, also in 3/8" scale. Some are available but none are currently in production.

I have thought about Bill Allen, but it seems he only does steam. The project may include a steam engine eventually.

Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
You do say "Models" - is that a quantity of one prototype or a train of models of different prototypes?

I would join the G1MRA and check out the custom builders who make 1/32nd scale locomotives.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not a movie, and as David says 1/32" scale is "correct." Right now this is all in initial planning stage. I'm proposing as many as 6-8 complete trains, one will be freight, one an M&E, the rest "name" trains.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I mentioned this is NOT for a movie. It is a large layout and collection of locos and cars for a private collector.

But I am curious what does 3/8" scale have to do with a movie?

Since Bill posts here a lot I think it would be easy to contact him here, I just haven't done it mainly because he seems to focus on steam powered engines.

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
nothing to do with 3/8" scale, but the fact that the party that wants them has an intermediary to procure them and the information on what is to be built is being doled out bit by bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Secrecy is because of an NDA that I have signed. I wish I could elaborate, but I'm bound by a contract. Thanks for the other references guys!

·
Super Modulator
21,223 Posts
OK, you know we won't stop.. Why anyone would need an NDA to build a custom models of several trains clearly signals it is not for a private hobbyist, unless the person is paranoid of people knowing who it is. we've had famous personalities as model train buffs, and they were public. I won't pester you any more about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts