G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my very first attempt at G-Scale prototype stuff.
All the rolling stock, and power is Historical/Prototype Correct, matching clear, sharp, photo images in our Hi-Line collection.
The PIKO locomotive was a Xmas Thing, 5 colors, with only a few factory overstated/oversized details.
All custom details added are now 1:29th scale. About 80+ changes in total to both loco & tender.
The PIKO sound range system is fantastic !!!
Below is the link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All the rolling stock, and power is Historical/Prototype Correct, matching clear, sharp, photo images in our Hi-Line collection.
The PIKO locomotive was a Xmas Thing, 5 colors, with only a few factory overstated/oversized details.
All custom details added are now 1:29th scale. About 80+ changes in total to both loco & tender.
Below is the link.

...the PIKO Locomotive out -of-the-box, was a 2-6-0 . All the molded factory details were removed/replaced.
Brass rods /K&S metal shapes, and nice scale detail stuff from Ozark Min,
Entire front of the Loco/tender was a cut & bash job. Pony wheel removed, and the cow catcher was modified to accept
a operating Kadee #906 coupler.
Both headlights, bell, moved as well.
All the models have Kadee #906 body-mount scale couplers, Kadee/USA steel wheel sets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Below is the link.

This is some fantastic quality stuff, Really makes the toyish looking Piko loco look like an actual model. Great work! Only thing I personally think is missing would be some injector feed lines and check valves on the boiler, and maybe some piping to the Westinghouse pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... 100% your right ! Thought ???about your suggested add-on's.
However, in no-way I'm a steam guy. My knowledge on this stuff
is VERY limited. If I had an idea/image where to place this stuff... I think
I would have given it a shot.( the front of the Loco, now shortened by 3/4 " ,was the most difficult part )

A few pieces of rolling stock has some lite-weathering, not sure if the guy
I'm doing these project(s) for would have the same weathering appreciation taste/thoughts.
I would guess operations outside might pick-up/add a weathered patina of it's own?
Thank's again for the nice comment and your suggestions.
JZ.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you have availability of back issues of Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette magazine (dig out the way back machine) there was a series 'Straight Talk About Bent Pipes' which covers all sorts of piping on steam locos. You can also order a DVD of back issues that will include those articles. You can order it here: https://www.bobhayden.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=102

Happy railroading!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Below is the link.

Jerry, you did a great job on kit bashing that PIKO into a protoype. Are you going to conduct prototype operations sessions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Operations ? Not sure, I'm doing this custom Loco & Rolling stock project for a friend.
He has a couple of contractors working on the outdoor/backyard layout.

He did send some images of the (14) custom wood bridges. I do know he wanted all the ROW
to be at least 42" up from garden/lawn ground base area.
I'm only design/building the Historic Power & Rolling stock. Two sets (Pass./Frt.) circa:1918, another set for
circa: 1950 era. freight only.
No track design, laying, or power sources on my end.

I'll post his/contractors layout building/design progress as I know more info....
JZ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts