G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a source for Crusher Fines for ballast at any quarry in Orange County, NY?
I need to locate a source so I can ballast my layout. It is free floating, and would like to have it stay neat, if possible.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
It may be called something different too if you start calling the rock sellers. For example, here in TN it is "crush and run" and Ohio it was called "ODOT 304".

I visited the rock guys and told them what I need, worked well.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By noela on 22 Apr 2010 02:36 PM
Does anybody know of a source for Crusher Fines for ballast at any quarry in Orange County, NY?
I need to locate a source so I can ballast my layout. It is free floating, and would like to have it stay neat, if possible.
Thank you.

Sure do.......

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Noel,
Tetz quarry on rt 6 in Slate Hill has it and its called stone dust. Make sure you take a magnet and check it 1st, When we built my buddies layout last year we got it from there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Nick,
Thank you, I will be calling them, hopefully today, if not next week.
I do have another question, Why the magnet?
Thanks again, have a great weekend.

Noel

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Noel,
Some rock thats mined in NY has metal in it and its not good for your trains, The magenets in the motors of your trains can pick it up so its always a good ideal to take a magnet with you when buying stone dust just to make sure its not magnetic. Also we are having a open house in a month or so for one of our new members in middletown, your welcome to attend just shoot me a PM and let me know if your interested.
Nick

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
They may call it "quarter minus" also. Home Depot and Lowe's carry it around here, by the ton.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts