G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I've begun making plans for my layout and am wanting to put 2 double-main crossovers in. I now am using Aristocraft Stainless Steel track and am planning on using Aristo's #6 turnouts (switches) for the crossovers. Does anyone know what the distance would be from mid track to mid track if I put the #6 switches together without any track extension? I am hoping it is 6-8 inches between them for smooth double-main operation. Thanks guys!

-Will

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. It is pretty obvious that I will need at least a little bit of track between the crossovers to make a feasible median between the mains. Is it true that with 1:20 scale I would need about 9 inches for decent clearance? Only asking as I may have friends run on my layout with less forgiving clearanced equipment. Thanks again for the help ^^
-Will

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a big help bdoane, thanks a bunch! I will actually be running 1:29 but thought it would be nice to build my specs for all G-scale dimensions if it is feasible.

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thinking that my minimum radius will be 10'. What kind of track spacing do you guys think I could get away with on 20' diameter minimum? I'm going to try to make the layout as user friendly as possible so keeping good clearance will be important, but I don't know too much about 1:20.3 scale or 1:32. The link above did help, but just in case there are inconsistencies, actual feedback from my MLS friends is more trustworthy ;-)

· Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, 15' spacing equates to 8.8" or so, which leaves over 4 inches just between the ties. I'd hate to think something would have overhang requiring that much space on 20' diameter. But if that is what it takes then I'd better do it. Thanks for the responses though. It seems I am underestimating potential overhang on 20' diameter, presumably from 1:20.3 trains. They are pretty big lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.