G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Modulator
22,348 Posts
I do not run 1:20.3, only 1:29, so I can only speak from experience on the smaller scale.

6.5 on the straights is my minimum. Curves are a whole nother story, depends on the curve.

I would keep 15 scale feet separation on the mainline, which is about 8.9", so your figure seems good for straightaways. Yards were often spaced at 13 foot minimum.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,348 Posts
If you can afford the space to have 20 foot diameter curves, you should not try to trim the track to track spacing! Use 15' spacing at 1:20.3 on the straights and widen it a bit on the curves and you will be fine.

You will be better off making a little more spacing between the tracks.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
22,348 Posts
I don't know all the history of double track mainline spacing in narrow gauge, but 15' is the right spacing for most standard gauge. Lately, class 1 railroads have been increasing this.

The whole idea is why have any risk at all if you have enough space for such large curves? Unless you have hard data on all the rolling stock you want to buy, be safe, you will be happier in the long run.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Regards, Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.