G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the newer replacement bridges for Craigs Canyon.
Named after a good friend Craig Hofshier who used to help me run trains on open houses.

The black one is the new 2nd line built around the ageing older silver bridge.
the new silver one as of today has replaced the saging older wood one. built in 2003.

these should handle the heavy traffic and bigger engines running now.

Drainage is important on a RR. You can see the spot of the Canyon. This is what I see out our bedroom window.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes on the new welder. these aren't very detailed but the (2 pieces)1/2" sq tubing running down the top holds the Garden Metal Model catwalks in place along with a few wire ties to keep the wind from lifting it. and the guard rails finish it off for photo runs. The old bridge may be repaired by the next owner. Its cedar.
the black one is 10ft and the other 7' 6" long I tried 1" angel iron on it.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

Bridge to nowhere?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Great bridge work Marty, I bet the resonance will sound very well when trains cross over them.

The view from my bedroom window is obviously somewhat different, but I guess the views give us both the same urge to get out there and get the trains running .

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Looks like the B&B department has been busy this winter. Major cost to a RR to replace those size of bridges. Guess the bridge inspector decided that components of the bridge were failing. Good thing as I'd hate to see that Big Boy go into the ravine. Nice bridge now get the plow out and get the main line going. Customers are depending on you. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after looking at the photos I may pull the silver one and finish the lower section with cross supports etc. would not take much to do it. I ran out of steel at the time and called it good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts