G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have drawings or a source for drawings of the CPRR arch bar swing-motion California style trucks? These were used on V&T combination box cars in the 1870's

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Does anyone have drawings or a source for drawings of the CPRR arch bar swing-motion California style trucks? These were used on V&T combination box cars in the 1870's
I have the Birth of California Narrow Gauge book by Bruce McGregor and I am pretty sure it has drawings of the Carter Bros trucks. However, they are narrow gauge not std. Cliff might know a better source.

·
Journeyman Lunatic
3,246 Posts
Thanks Pete.

Loggerhead, I looked through "Virginia & Truckee Wooden Box Cars" (available at vtrrhs.org), which has drawings of the cars, but not details of the trucks. Swing motion trucks are very multi-layered, lots of moving parts... as you probably know. I've not seen a drawing that broke all that down, at least not for this early CP version.

Last October, on my annual pilgrimage to Carson City, I did this little video on swing motion trucks (which I had just learned about). So, take it for what it's worth.

The man to ask would be Mike Collins, former curator at the CSRM, who co-authored that boxcar booklet (and made its drawings). Mike works at the CSRM still, and can be asked anything via the V&T Historical Society google group:

https://groups.io/g/VirginiaandTruckeeRR

Other active members include former & current curators of both CSRM and NSRM, such as:

Stephen Drew
Kyle Wyatt
Wendell Huffman

Of course, combination box car 1005 stands fully restored at NSRM. You could call there and ask for Wendell Huffman. Since they did the restoration, they might have relevant materials in their archives.

I don't frequent MLS much anymore (I'm mainly on LSC), but will try to keep an ear out if you have any questions I can help with.

Best regards,
Cliff

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cliff - thanks for the info. truck info for most early railroads is sketchy at best. Your video was very helpful, much appreciated. Have spent time with Wendell and Mike on the box car and the engine transport car. I am working with a friend to build proto types of both cars in 1:20.3 scale. Of note, the V&T combo box car looks very similar to the SP coast ventilated box car except it is not outside braced. Bob Hartford did a 1:20.3 kit of SP car, it had Carter Bros trucks with the kit. Well done kit. Again thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Swing motion trucks are very multi-layered, lots of moving parts.
A more modern version can be found on Brill trolleys and the East Broad Top M-1, which has trolley trucks by Westinghouse. I figured out how they worked by trying to produce drawings. The "swing motion" is quite pronounced on the EBT track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts