G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Greg -

I used a Mini-MagLite lens in this headlamp. To get it to the right diameter to fit inside the headlamp casting, I put a long machine screw through the bulb opening (from the front - if you've got a small rubber washer or O-ring, use it to cushion the screw head and to keep it from slipping,) snugged it up with a nut in the back and chucked it in my drill press. I turned it on at the lowest speed and used a file held securely against it as it turned to grind it down on the outside until it fit. Also had to do some trimming of the plastic supports in the back, as I recall.

It's well worth the effort - it looks great when the light's on, and even when it isn't.

Here's another one I did the same way: (You can see better in this shot how I drilled a hole up from the bottom to mount the GOW bulb vertically, rather than coming in from the back. I also had to plug the original bulb hole in the center with a bit of plastic rod and paint it silver, but it's hardly noticable.)

· Premium Member
339 Posts
Greg -

The lenses I either got from my "junk" drawer (everyone's got one of those, right?) or used a large diameter leather punch on clear plastic to make 'em. The bulbs are just pushed up from the bottom (or in from the back) and held in place with a dab of glue. They can be easily pulled out and replaced as needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.