G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decorate some wheels. Having destroyed the decorative plastic centers, I now have the opportunity to make new ones, and can design them any way that I see fit. 4/7 of the things are pretty simple - hub, spokes, rim, crank pin boss. But the couterweights are where I figure I can inject a little style and personality.

I thought I'd seek the opinions of the good folks out here, to see what everyone else likes.

This is the wheel in its factory form

I've seen a few different styles of weights, and I'll try to describe them here.

1) Same as the wheel above, the face of the weight protrudes beyond the spokes and forms a solid mass.

2) Same as #1, except there are grooves where each spoke goes, making the weights appear to be separate pieces.

3) Same as #2, except the faces of the weights are below the spokes, making them look less massive.

4) Separate weights, bolted in from behind, thus closely resembling #2.

5) Separate weights, bolted from the front. Most I've seen have 2 bolts along the centerline of the weight, though some have 1 in the middle, or one at each corner.

6) None at all. This isn't much of an option, since it would involve grinding out a portion of the metal wheel behind where the weight used to go.

7) Something else entirely.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Yes, that's definitely a different style. What I forgot to say was that this is for a loco built around the time of the Civil War, so crescent counterweights are out, nice as they may look. Definitely no Boxpok or Scullin Disk drivers, either.

What I'll probably do is make style #3, since it'l the easiest to make. Flat sheet of styrene, with half-round on top to represent the spokes. Then, if I want a different style, I can always add something else on top.

Just curious if anyone might have a personal favorite style.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts