G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilat I wait for MEL to laser cust the parts for the Class 22 I thought you might like to see the product of several years of applied searching.

At "The Black Country Museum" there is a Cornish pumping engine which on certain days is fired up and pumps. It a frightening and beautiful thing to watch!!!

So when this model came onto the market (mine is number two!) I HAD to have it. Now some years ago I bought a water feature called "Stream in a box" which despite my late wifes protests I lugged home from the NEC show in Birmingham.

Now is the time to unpack and get it going!

This is the plan (he says...)

The stream in a box provides the continuous flow. There is a second pump in the pumping house to provide the pump gush over the flume into the stream. The beam is linked to a DC motor controlled by an arduino. The arduino then controls the speed of the motor at various stages through the beam oscillation as the steam cylider goes through its semi compound cycle. Thus it not a simple harmonic motion The second pump flows water over the flume whilst the pump rod is lowered. (Ram pump).
Nature Botany Wood Road surface Plant

Fluid Wood Plastic bottle Flooring Adapter

There are severn stream "tiles" and the little pump is rated at 20 lpm @2m the secondary pump will be far lower only operating at
at 3 lpm @0.5m. I have found that each tile needs a base to base seperation of 7.5cm so there is going to have to be some woodwork to make a frame to hold everything. The tiles are glass fibre and some P40 will be needed to bond them to the wood frame when in place I will back fill and bury the woodwork.

This is where the pumping houae will sit.
Plant Building Urban design House Grass

This is a basically useless part of tje track/garden as the twin tracks are too wide to step over and the ground slopes at 1 in 5. The building to the right os the pub for the hamlet of "Half Holmes".

Regards

Ralph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For some reason the last two entries did not post(?)

So - recap.

The pumping switchgear is rather messily shown here. It got prettified once we knew it worked!

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electricity Electronic component

Although the arduino can do lots of things in this case I went back to using cams and microswitches. There are three cams and switches. The snail cams control the timers amd the moon cam controls the secondary pump.
Table Road surface Wood Asphalt Grey

The beam pauses at the top and bottom of the stroke. At the top 7secs to mimic the end of the expansion stroke and transfer of steam to the compound cylinder. There is also a 10sec pause at the bottom of the stroke the mimic the air reservoir expelling the last of the water from the ram pump.

The model suppliers are going to scream blue murder once they have seen what I plan to do to their model!!! As supplied the model uses a Watt/Neucomen chain link to a long length of "wood" as the pump shaft but I wanted something more "Modern"... This means building a parallel link motion at either end of the beam. Fortunately I have a few friends with "Stuart" model steam beam engines(!)

Regards

Ralph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well your questions would have been answered in the missing posts.
Wood Toy Circuit component Rectangle Wood stain

Ruler Wood Ingredient Hardwood Wood stain

The top jpg ahows; the 7seconds timer and the 10seconds timer. The somewhat vintage ESC (1990s?) controls the motor which is a three lobe 600 series (28W). Everything runs off a 12V buss bar made from 2.5mm brass rod soldered to a length of tag strip.

The black and red gears form the first stage MOD1 [12:60] these are gear grade Nylon66. The white gears forming the second stage are MOD0.7 [16:100] made from Hostaform. I am trying to disguise the brilliant white with red oxide primer.

I have asked Edward of I may use PNG extracts from his instruction manual, but as this the 2nd made the manual is a little rough as yet.

The building will have a fenced stage with the beam moving up and down through it. It will have the upper floor covered in floor boards. You should be able to see "activity" through the main engine window. Having just come back from the National Space Centre in Leicester I went to the twin pumping engines in the "other museum" as I was there. The beam engines there have a cycle of about 45seconds for an 8feet stroke of a 5feet bore high pressure piston. The low pressure receiver vessals and pistons are external to the main buildings and are 8feet bore and stroke.

Regards

Ralph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sky Font Screenshot Line Adaptation

This screenshot shows the top half of the building. You can see the fenced off projecting stage and end of the beam with the pump rod. Although the kit is made of resin certain parts have carbon fibre rod in them for added strength. I will paint mine with the local "Bunter" sandstone and "Wilnecote" bricks rather than Cornish "Pave" limestone and "London" brick London brick is red because of the iron oxid "dye" they put in it. Wilnecote clay is everycolour known, the brick can start off green then yellow and finish purple. This were thought of as "lower quality" bricks -now they are sort afteer because of their random colours...

One of the upcomming problems is designing the Fleam. This is the step lined funnel shaped collector from the output of the pump. This was used to slow down the pulses of the pump to a steady flow so that the pulses did not smash the pipework from the pump to the river outlet.
Water Water resources Infrastructure Automotive tire Tree

This is the one at "Lady Bower" dam just to the north of me. It controls the overflow from the reservoir into the Derwent River. Mine is going to be rather smaller...

regards

ralph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few days of madness later... The moon can and the two snail cams have been fitted to the m6 threaded shaft. Epoxy has been slathered onto the threads and the cams nutted up and left to set overnight.

The MOD0.7 bull gear has been screwed to the main poly harmonic cam. This is made from four quarter sections and is not a smooth curve from maxima to minima. This type of cam was developed independantly in the 1920's by Iskandrien in the US and Kent in the UK for racing.

Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Natural material Fashion accessory Hardwood Flooring

There will be a central roller race bearing in a support along with the same arrangement at either end. These will simply consist of an Aluminiun L section with the bearing flanges fitted to them.

Currently I am favouring a "stirrup" connection between the cam surface and the pump rod. This is a rectangular box frame the cam pushes both up and down inside of.

Regards

Ralph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here is the first trial fit and it's not too bad, nothing clashes into another and there is plenty of space. Now it is time to make the re-enforcing brackets and to fit the roller bearing to them.
Wood Creative arts Hardwood Gas Flooring

Regards

Ralph

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Again!!! How is IG?

The model arrived this afternoon and was dragged from my front door by my neighbor to the safety of her kitchen. I was en route to St P to pick up my great nieces in Chatham for a short holiday here. The kit weighs13Kg according to Kippo and must have taken some effort as it must be a fair % of her weight(!)

Kippo sent me the rough draft assembly instructions so I have been able to do so some planning. The youngest of the two has pointed out that the staging needs more angle brackets, it has no lightning conductors etc etc!!!

When I return home tomorrow I will unpack the box and do some photos for here.

Regards

Ralph;

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok having unpacked the box "with help" the following two jpgs show:

The building walls

The chimney stack and "bits box"

There is a 60cm and 30cm steel rule in the shots to give you some idea of the size.

It will take me a week of work to clean the flashing off the castings and prepare/sand the joints for the huge amount of UHU and P40 g/f putty that is going to be needed to bond everything in place. Normally when I build a building the lower part is bonded to a sheet of exterior grade ply with P40. There is going to have to be a trip to B&Q for 15mm (at least!) ply. I am seriously contemplating drilling through the ply sheet into the walls of the model and inserting M5x60 screws to act as foundation pins.

The beam arm is flexible. This would not matter in a static model, but an "animatronic" one requires some beefing up.
Rectangle Composite material Font Pattern Electric blue

Rectangle Razor Wood Magenta Tints and shades

Time for Great Uncle to begin lunch . The popcorn machine is armed and ready as is the Soda Stream for their afternoon DVD session.

Regards

Ralph

1 - 11 of 11 Posts