G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from weirdo-land AKA Los Angeles, hoping for a little insight from the pros here.
I grabbed two never tracked LGB 40180 Field Cars that originally were part of I BELIEVE was a starter set; I could of course be wrong there.
In any event, I have 15 Aristo two axle gondolas I'd like to couple these little guys with, once they've been weathered, I already have the steel wheels for them. However, as I'm as green as they come when it comes to mods of any kind, I'm stumped on which couplers will fit and how much Xacto work - if any - will be required.
I purchased both KADEE 833 and 1833 coupler sets and both say "For LGB 2 Axle Cars". Frankly, to this rookie neither look like they'll work "out of the box" or bag as it were - Hoping for some input from the more experienced modlers, and ALWAYS so very much appreciated...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
(Please don't post in 2 separate forums. It makes things very confusing. ;) And there is a "Rolling Stock" forum for this kind of equipment :))

I think what you missed is that there are lots and lots of different LGB 2-axle cars. What you have there is a 'feldbahn' type, which may have the same type of mounting as the bigger cars - or not. Here's a more typical 2-axle car, and it has pivoting axles (!) which your car does not. I can't tell you if your couplers will work; maybe someone else knows.

In practice, most LGB cars take the standard coupler with the hook that you have on one end, so I would take the existing couplers off and then read the instructions for the Kadee replacements.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry - I realized later - after positing my question in the beginners section, that it was the experienced guys I needed to reach out to. It won't happen again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts