G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Geo,

There isn't much in the way of ride scale here as we primarily focus on G scale/Gauge 1. I was able to find a helpful thread that someone over on Large Scale Central put together about building a #5 turnout using EP Plastics Accutie turnout kits. Even if you don't have a kit and want to build it custom on wood, the techniques used should still be helpful to see.

-Mike

·
Super Modulator
22,088 Posts
I would guess that Geo is searching for (rereading his post) is different techniques for mounting throwbars, whether he undercuts the point rails or notches the stock rails, etc.

The geometry is much easier in larger stuff and you can use bolts and regular fasteners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go to the beginners live steam group on FB. there are lots of folks who can help you. I am waiting on a set of drawings for my NG 7.5" layout. Ill be using G gauge as a "live steam" park layout within my NG 7.5" ga.

·
Super Modulator
22,088 Posts
I would look for the prototype styles of switches on the internet. Your scale is large enough that what works for the prototype would work for you.

There are pro's and con's to each type, from a stub switch, to the notched stock rails, to the tapered and undercut point rails.

Also, some variations in frogs too, although you might not want to run flange bearing frogs unless you can standardize flange depth on all wheels.

In addition, I doubt you would utilize any of the super high speed turnout designs, some have moving frogs, but a lot of complexity.

Stub switches are very easy to build, but not the smoothest, i.e. not best for mainline, but more in a switchyard, or engine yard.

It's an interesting subject, and might also be influenced by your rail material, i.e. steel vs. aluminum, although most all new construction seems to be aluminum.

Best of luck!

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts