Discussion Starter #1
Very nice photo.
It won't let me edit the S off sorry

('S' is gone, mod. SteveC)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
RE: Congrats to Dave Winters

What a nice surprise. I must have been submitting photos for over 6 years now so this is a real event for me. And I'm on a train watching/Supertrain 2008 holiday in Alberta finding out about that photo while sitting in a motel covered with new snow. &%#*!%$+ :rolleyes:

A most hearty thanks goes out to all who viewed the contest and voted. There were many worthy pictures there to be sure.

Thanks again all.

Oh yes. No "s" That would have been a 'down east' Winters. Not a western Winter.

Take care all

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

You beat me to it :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts

A very nice photo! Congratulations indeed, well deserved! I especially like the way that the back-light made the sky look as though the sun had set about 15-20 minutes earlier and that the dark shadows of night were quickly closing in. There is a "twilight zone" where the artificial lighting competes with the natural for dominance in a scene and you captured it magnificently! Bravo!!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

Hi Dave,

Just a fantastic photograph and it shows the level of your work.

That shot is a perfect example of the difference between a Model Railroader and someone who "plays with trains."

Congrats!!!

Tom

·
Premium Member
391 Posts

Great picture Dave congratulations.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts

Nice lighting, nice staging, and nice composition!!!
Overall, TRIPLE nice!!!
Good work Dave!!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts

Posted By dawinter on 04/18/2008 2:11 PM

What a nice surprise. I must have been submitting photos for over 6 years now so this is a real event for me. . .

Well done and well-earned. You have a very compelling image there!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts

Thanks again to all. I've been off at Calgary Supertrain 2008 for a week and just got home. It was great to leave behind the howling winds and driving snow of Calgary and find the green grass and warm breezes of spring in the Okanagan. :)

Alberta, that was an awful thing to do to your guests.

Paul...

The only thing I did to 'set up' that photo was put the NAR car in the scene to set 'time and place'. Glad you noticed.

That is an Aristo Evans boxcar with new doors, new outside bracing and new frame. The paint is a mix recommended by the NAR SIG and the decals are from Del at G Scale Graphics. Oh yes, those ribs are Evergreen channel #264.

I didn't go to the trouble of replacing the ends and the roof because 99% of the people seeing this will key in on the sides anyway.

I have notes on the modifications for a CRM story but they have tons of my stuff already.

Anyway, it's a very easy project and it passes muster.

Cheers

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts