G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Seems to me the softwarecan't handle the image size properly.
That image is 1806 x 742 pixels

And when one is ready to post, there is the option of"Thumbnail" or "Full Size"
I chose "Full Size"

I'll try it again with "Thumbnail" here:

mls _3-4.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Dwight - I don't think "New" and "Active" are the same thing.
When I click on "New" I don't get any posts that are "active". I just get brand new posts.
I thought on the old forum there were both categories - New and Active

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
what about the new "popular", sure looks like the most active topics are there, whether you have read them or not.

new is unread...

Greg

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, "NEW" lists all topics that have been updated since my last visit, including threads I've already read, but contain new replies since my last visit - just like Active Topics always worked. For example, even though I've obviously read, and replied to, this thread, it lists under NEW since there are new replies.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
I just clicked on new and got the attached.
Was there really nothing active on the forum in the last two hours?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Just came across another image problem - tried to attach a tiff image but the forum software wouldn't accept that.

·
Administrator
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just came across another image problem - tried to attach a tiff image but the forum software wouldn't accept that.
It looks as if tiff files do not compress in order to display on the site. You may need to convert those to PNG or JPG files.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, "NEW" lists all topics that have been updated since my last visit, including threads I've already read, but contain new replies since my last visit - just like Active Topics always worked. For example, even though I've obviously read, and replied to, this thread, it lists under NEW since there are new replies.
I concur - that's how it works for me. I did question whether the s/w would take me to the first post I had not yet read and the Admin indicated that the site s/w would start doing that as I looked at threads. And it seems to be doing just that - it jumped me to the point in this thread that was 'new' to me when I clicked the link in the "What's New" list.

I just clicked on new and got the attached.
Was there really nothing active on the forum in the last two hours?
Looks perfectly normal, with lots of new stuff. When you get to the end of the 'new' you get a message:

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
When I select the bookmark I had set up for the old mls forum, it takes me to a bunch of threads in a grouping named "Recommended for you"
Anyone know how that relates to the old forum?
Or how that grouping is generated?
The grouping "Recommended for you" includes a number of "Live Steam" threads - a topic I have absolutely no interest in and I doubt I ever selected and read any of those threads.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
OK as best I can tell, when you look at NEW and posts you have previously read are no longer visible, simply click on the "FILTERS" above the LH column, and uncheck the unread discussions check box and all the "Active Topics" posts are there including ones you have already read. That seems to solve my issue of wanting to see active posts that I have read? Comments?

·
Administrator
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Moving this thread to the Help section and merging with the community thread to better monitor and answer memebers questions.

Jeff M

·
Administrator
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Dwight - I don't think "New" and "Active" are the same thing.
When I click on "New" I don't get any posts that are "active". I just get brand new posts.
I thought on the old forum there were both categories - New and Active
what about the new "popular", sure looks like the most active topics are there, whether you have read them or not.

new is unread...

Greg
Yes, I think that's it "Popular"= "Active Topics"
OK as best I can tell, when you look at NEW and posts you have previously read are no longer visible, simply click on the "FILTERS" above the LH column, and uncheck the unread discussions check box and all the "Active Topics" posts are there including ones you have already read. That seems to solve my issue of wanting to see active posts that I have read? Comments?
Heya all,

If you click new there are filters at the top for Popular, New, among others and filters.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.03.05 PM.png

For more information on how to filter "New Posts" please see this tutorial in our FAQ:

Jeff M

·
Administrator
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
When I select the bookmark I had set up for the old mls forum, it takes me to a bunch of threads in a grouping named "Recommended for you"
Anyone know how that relates to the old forum?
Or how that grouping is generated?
The grouping "Recommended for you" includes a number of "Live Steam" threads - a topic I have absolutely no interest in and I doubt I ever selected and read any of those threads.
Recommended Reading is artificial intelligence meant to help engage users with the community with related threads.

We are working at tweaking settings to keep it from digging up older threads and it will get smarter as we continue developing the feature.

Not you can vote on the feature relevance below:
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 3.06.58 PM.png

Jeff M

·
Premium Member
5,908 Posts
Two issues. This is a post from the Photo Test thread, which has been converted to a total QUOTE when I edit. And hiw do you (a) delete a post and (b) cancel a reply which you started?

Actually, Gscalecentral.net based in the UK has exactly the same drag-and-drop for pictures and has had for years. ;)

Two other things occur to me. Greg - did you drag-and-drop the video, or just post the 'share' link, as we used to do here? [Can you drag-and-drop a video?]

And there's an "insert" menu hidden on the bottom reply list - the 3 dots. It let's you insert the QUOTE codes and various other things. I must try the "inline spoiler":
That sure was easier than any other website.
Hmm . . . (click the grey above)

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
Two issues. This is a post from the Photo Test thread, which has been converted to a total QUOTE when I edit. And hiw do you (a) delete a post and (b) cancel a reply which you started?
I have had the same question on other forums that use the same software.
AFAIK - Deleting a post has to be done by a moderator - that makes some sense since deleting a post in the middle of a thread could make the whole thread useless.
However cancelling a reply one has started should be possible by the member except I don't see how.
In fact, even shutting the forum down and then going back still brings up the started reply.

·
Super Modulator
20,522 Posts
Pete:

I think you quoted me, but then typed within the quote...

I copied the "short link" proffered by youtube, since I wanted to see if the short link worked as opposed to the more traditional long link.

If you start a reply but never send, then it seems to keep what you typed.... which I do not personally like.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts