G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave yeah mate my name is Joe ,have plenty interests boating fishing ,motorbikes , gardening & now starting a garden G scale DCC railway in my backyard .Its planned to be about 170 meters long ''600feet''2 tracks of 85 meters parallel to each other it will run over a fish pond on a bridge im hoping to construct.Just now doing all the due dilligence prior to starting & keen to know which digital central station to employ . Been looking at Roco Fleischman Z21XL series 10870 ,and Piko G Digital 35010 , also NCE 0007PH10R power pro and also the Digitrax SEBX extraDCC advanced loco net set .Realizing boosters will also be required with all the systems, David are you into this stuff ? I've never had trains prior but wanting to do this & get the grandkids involved. Cost is not an issue in getting the best system available as long as im not doing it twice .Obviously im located in Australia so our voltage here is 240volt ac .Any advise would be greatly appreciated ,Thanks in anticipation Joe from down under

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Hi Joe,
Sorry, but I am all live steam, but do have a battery r/c unit too, so have no idea as to what all this DCC stuff is about!
I'm sure that someone here will give you more ideas.
Sounds like you are going to have fun with the building of the railway.
What part of Australia are you in, as to what climate over the year?
All the best,
David Leech, Canada

·
Registered
107 Posts
If $$ is not an issue, consider the Zimo MX10. 20 amps of DCC power at 24 volts (adjustable) to the track via a 8 and 12 amp output. I use 12 amps to the track and 8 amps to my work bench as only the 8 amp output can be used for programming decoders. Both voltage and current are independently adjustable on both outputs!! Separate input supply is a 20 amp 30 volt meanwell supply which has dual input specs. You could set the 12 amp for g/largescale and the 8 amp for HO. 1 command station can do it all. Go to zimo.at for more info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Going it alone may result in a bit of trial and error... Do web searches for garden railway groups, and full size railway museums. They often have members with garden railways. Also, ask your potential suppliers if they have customers in your area, and would share their contact info.
Joining G1MRA ( www.G1MRA.com ) will give you access to decades of published journals with information on track building, locomotives, rolling stock, etc. The membership fee is a bargain to access all that info.
You also might start smaller, and see how the track handles your local climate, and your method of track power supply.
With your planned track plan, I have often heard folks either starting out, or converting to battery power, due to oxidation, bird droppings, tree sap etc. causing a reduction of power to the loco and forcing time wasting track cleaning. Kids get bored rapidly if you have to clean track before running.
Please keep us informed of your progress!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts