G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just Picked up this Lionel 0-4-0 set locally for $50 bucks.
It has some issues that need to be addressed.
Starting in a couple of weeks i'll be breaking it down and modifying it.

More to come...

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess technically this is a saddle tank.. but im having difficulty finding the prototype.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you 'drastically' modifying it?
Like into a Big Boy?
Or keeping it as a saddle tank?
B & O?
Or narrow gauge?
Have fun.
Cheers,
David
Fairbanks Morse diesel hydraulic
Um... that might be a tad beyond my ability. LOL ;)

I think i will keep it a 0-4-0 saddle tank but will make the power pickup and chassis a bit more reliable. Also maybe add some detailing to the body as well as add some sound and maybe a good smoke unit. Internal space is going to be a challenge.

Currently the axles do not sit level or parallel to each other and the wheel spacing is off to the point where the wheels fall inside the track. ( im thinking this is the old Lionel slipping "tire" issue )
Unsure about the goal for the passenger cars There is roof damage that needs to be repaired and i am considering upgrading the lighting to LED.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Um... that might be a tad beyond my ability. LOL ;)

I think i will keep it a 0-4-0 saddle tank but will make the power pickup and chassis a bit more reliable. Also maybe add some detailing to the body as well as add some sound and maybe a good smoke unit. Internal space is going to be a challenge.

Currently the axles do not sit level or parallel to each other and the wheel spacing is off to the point where the wheels fall inside the track. ( im thinking this is the old Lionel slipping "tire" issue )
Unsure about the goal for the passenger cars There is roof damage that needs to be repaired and i am considering upgrading the lighting to LED.
Wow ! That's a great deal on the Thunder Mountain Express set.
I've seen people pay that much for a single one of the cars on Ebay.
I have one of those sets, as well as the Lionel Gold Rush Express freight set (for which I paid $50.00 on Ebay back in 2004 ).
I installed a Seuthe #5 smoke unit in the stack of the Thunder Mountain Express 0-4-0.
There is an opening in the boiler in front of the cab for a small on-off slider switch for the smoke unit.
It's an easy install as the locomotive is fairly simple and easy to work on.
Make sure to give the gears fresh lube.
I use Labelle lubricating products on all of my various scale trains .
Labelle products do not dry out like some other similar products such as those made by Bachmann,as an example.
Hope this helps!
Have fun with your "new" Lionel !

Andrew

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi OldNoob (As you didn't give your name I am using your pseudo, sorry): This is actually a fair representation of a Pennsylvania RR A3 switcher converted to tank engine à la Altoona works with saddle tanks and a small coal bunker at the back. I do not know what scale it is as Lionel in its early models proposed 1/32 scale models (the GP9) then slightly enlarged models like the Atlantic, which is slightly overscale for 1/32 scale. It represents an old serviceable switcher transformed into a shop goat: IE an engine mainly used to shift cold engines around an engine terminal thus the tiny coal bunker as it didn't need to go far. Perhaps some ended up doing switching and yard work on harbor waterfronts in Philadelphia, Baltimore or New Jersey. You have two photos one un rebuilt and one rebuilt in Stauffers Pennsy Power on page 19. If the wheels are the same as on other Lionel stuff they are made of aluminum which is very bad for power pick up as it oxidises quickly.
Have fun with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts