G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
59 Posts
The autoracks & TOFC's, that I have scratchbuilt, I used plans from an old Railroad Model Craftsman magazine's HO scale plans, and blew them up 300 percent, to get it close to 1/29th scale... My Autorack measures 37 & 1/2 inches long, 4 & 1/8th inches wide, and 8 & 1/2 inches tall from the top of the rail.... It took a lot of time, and a lot of plastic, but the outcome was great...

The AutoMax would probably run better on smaller layouts, as it is articulated:

However, it is 5 foot, 2 inches long....

Of course, if you don't find the plan in a magazine, just get an HO scale model of it and measure that.... It also provides a quick reference so you can see what it actaully looks like...

Andy

· Premium Member
59 Posts
These TOFC's were made from the same chasis as my autorack.... Trailer Chasis were plastic 1/32nd scale truck trailers, that had been modified and enlarged to look appropriate to the trailers.... Schneider is a 53 footer....

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/andyc/ScratchBuilding%20pics/TOFC's%20on%20layout%20yard.jpg[/b]
(Image exceeds 640 pixel width (i.e. 1004 px), changed to link, SteveC mod.)

ok, can't get that one to show up, for some reason...

[url]http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/andyc/ScratchBuilding%20pics/TOFC%20w%20good%20trailers%20-%20not%20painted.jpg[/b][/url]

(Image exceeds 640 pixel width (i.e. 1135 px), changed to link, SteveC mod.)

White trailers were bashed to 45 footers

the Basic chasis is in white, laying on it's back, so the undercarriage is showing... TOFC is next to it, going left, and on the far left, is an Autorack side... The only difference is which side you attach to the frame, to make it either a TOFC, or an Autorack...

Just added for info purposes...

Andy

· Premium Member
59 Posts
First off, Greg, thanks for the comments about the cars...

I can't speak for the people layout sizes, because I have no idea how small/big they are, unless they have posted on here, or largescalecentral, or Aristo's forum, to mention the size....

I love the smell of steam engines, but, I grew up, right after the transition to diesel and hardly remember any steam engines in my youth... My first ride, was in the cab of a Boston & Maine SW-1, working the industries in Peabody, Mass.

So, I model diesels, which means, I model 1/29th, because, that's the scale that the maufacturers were making diesels engines in, at the time...
True, I like to see long trains run, but, I am also into operations, and want my current layout to do both.... THe Autorack that i built, had 150 pieces to each side, and 150 pieces, to the chassis.. That required a lot of work... The TOFC"s weren't so bad, because the didn't have 150 piece sides... :)

Anyway, before I keep rambling... What I'd like to see, is more modern freight cars, such as 40 and 50 foot boxcars, without roof walks... Maybe a 50 high cube boxcar.... What's wrong with Steel coil cars??? If the long passenger cars sell, why not a 60 foot center beam car??? a 60 foot high cube...
They don't have to make 3 foot long cars, just some modern stuff.... What's wrong with an outside braced covered hopper???

Just my 2 cents worth....

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.