G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of re-building my garden railroad. The new location is on a hill, so I'm constructing a trestle to address the grade change.

Several questions:

1. Are there examples of prototype railroads that used different style bridges adjacent to each other? If you have photos I'd love to see them.
2. Would it look strange to have to different style bridges next to each other? (or near each other as the case may be)

I already have a 3' through arch bridge (see photo) and am considering purchasing another bridge (likely 4' long) that I'd install about two feet away from the 3' one.

Any thoughts / photos would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
That looks great. If it didn't exist, it should have! I think I have seen a similar mix in one of my books, but finding it may take a while.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
I know I have seen different style bridges together... both side-by-side and end-to-end. Most of the time I figure it is different building eras. Even in the end-to-end arrangement it just means that one span could have been replaced with a newer engineering solution at a later time.

But I have also seen where there is a difference in the requirement of the span... simple through truss for one short part followed by an under girder span that is longer... two totally different looking bridges, each with a particular set of requirements, but built under one construction contract.

I wish I had photos to show. I suppose you could just do a search for "RR bridges" and probably quickly stumble across some examples.

Your photo is a perfectly viable arrangement, and not at all unusual. Besides, I bet someone could come up with some wild and humorous story as to why they are different.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Jimmy,
Welcome to MLS.
Here is one that I have posted here before.
It has trestles, through girder and plate girder bridges all in a row.
Cheers,
David

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
There are a couple Rules to remember That you can not deviate from Jimmy G
1. It is you rail road build what you want.
2. It it looks good from 10 feet It is Perfect.
3. Post Pictures.

I have seen a through truss bridge with a Upside down through truss on either end.
They I have seen through truss bridges with Girder bridges on each end.

Be I pioneer and build what you want.

JJ

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
What JJ said, and #3 is the most important :) There is an old saying that if you can think of it the railroads probably did it.

-Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good advice....

I appreciate the advice JJ.

Jim

There are a couple Rules to remember That you can not deviate from Jimmy G
1. It is you rail road build what you want.
2. It it looks good from 10 feet It is Perfect.
3. Post Pictures.

I have seen a through truss bridge with a Upside down through truss on either end.
They I have seen through truss bridges with Girder bridges on each end.

Be I pioneer and build what you want.

JJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts